Also - don't forget about the Raspberry Pi. They are a fantastic
platform for hobbyists, including teenagers.

They are surprisingly capable little machines, but it's still very
possible to run up against their limitations. In my opinion, they
provide the closest modern equivalent to the home computers of the 80s
(which I'm guessing that many of us cut our milk teeth on) that
required even a novice programmer to think about the machine and its
behaviour rather than the far-abstracted and extremely powerful /
well-resourced systems that modern laptops / desktops are.

+1 to the Julia Evans (no relation) suggestion too...

Ben