Adding to this, synchronization of distributed clocks is very important in
the embedded/automation world and is usually done using IEEE 1588v2
<https://wiki.mef.net/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=29230774> (PTP) which
can get to sub-microsecond levels. A lot of microprocessors have hardware
support for it, but I have never looked into how difficult it'd be to get
running on a server.

- Florian