Out of curiosity: What do you use Unsafe.objectFieldOffset for that
VarHandle is lacking functionality for?

It is useful to gather use cases not covered by VarHandle so that we can
propose additional capabilities there (preparing for a world with no Unsafe
in it). Can you share an example of code?

As to your question: I assume it is Unsafe as a whole you are having issues
with, and not just Unsafe.objectFieldOffset, is that correct? You can find
examples of how to use Unsafe in a post-java-8 world e.g.
here: http://gregluck.com/blog/archives/2017/03/using-sun-misc-unsafe-in-java-9/