Hi,

In the course of a tuning exercise to decruft a Cassandra installation
infected with "Tuning By Folklore" hacks, I found this beauty.

The folklore suggests setting the JVM flag -XX:+PerfDisableSharedMem
as per http://www.evanjones.ca/jvm-mmap-pause.html (tl;dr Writing some
hsperfdata memory statistics can block against kernel performing disk
I/O). Setting the flag is intended to reduce large outliers in the GC
tail and other gremlins (because this contention can occur during any
safepoint operation).

All seems reasonable so far.

Reading the comments and doing some other detective work leads to the
possibility that the lazytime Linux mount option may remove the need
to set the option, by removing the contention.

However, there appears to be no direct confirmation of this, and,
rather amusingly, the combination of search terms "lazytime
PerfDisableSharedMem" produces no Google results at all - not
something I thought I'd ever see in the year 2019.

Any thoughts or pointers gratefully received.

Thanks,

Ben