Andrew,

Yes, you are correct about the secrecy of the HFT industry, in general. As
a matter of fact, when I worked at Jump Trading we used to have to deliver
presentations at Linux Kernel/Tracing Summits under a completely different
company name (that has changed since 2013 or so when Jump joined the Linux
Foundation).

However, aside from secret trading strategies and esoteric protocol
exchange handling techniques, OS configuration guidelines are pretty
standard across the board. In fact, Red Hat publishes a new Low Latency
Guidelines document with every release primarily targeted at our domain.
Our representation in the kernel community ushered a lot of the
advancements that we have today in the Adaptive Ticks (i.e. nohz_full)
infrastructure.

Also, general techniques around pre-faulting memory, pinning threads, cache
warming, and avoiding runtime overhead via template
metaprogramming/constexpr, etc. - these are all things that you'll see
members of HFT firms speak about freely and openly at tech conferences. We
*all* do these things on the portions of our trading that still runs in
software.

But no one is gonna talk about their secret sauce, of course. That secret
trigger they discovered which works perfectly for their FPGA-based
strategies. Things of that sort. But I'm willing to bet a nice chunk of
change that no one in the industry who cares about latency is leaving the
cpu security vulnerability mitigations enabled (which are, also, addressed
in Red Hat's Low Latency Tuning guides).