Subject: Is the Problem Too Much Islam?

Tulisan bagus dari Yusuf Islam tentang betapa

kurikulum pendidikan Islam yang minim justru memicu

ekstrimisme karena mengundang anak-anak

muda pada jalan pintas.

Saya kutip sebagian:

"The teachings of Islam have nothing to do with the

recent barbarities. The problem, to oversimplify, is

not too much Islam but too little. In the same way,

Christianity didn't produce Hitler; but the absence of

true Christian teachings and a lack of strong

spiritual role models must have contributed."

Wassalam

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Is the Problem Too Much Islam?

8/12/2005 By: Yusuf Islam

Independent* -

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref==IN0508-2767

LONDON - Today Muslims are being challenged to face up

to the fact that crimes are committed in the name of

their religion. Like many, I am finding it hard to

accept.

One of the crucial factors about the London bombings,

I think, goes right back to school: where did those

who carried out the attacks get their teachings from?

What curriculum were they following, or not

following, when they decided it was OK to blow up

themselves and people they didn't even know? What

background have the bombers come from and who taught

them?

As a new Muslim, I wasn't born a Muslim and didn't

have the customary upbringing, receiving an English

translation of the Qur'an as a gift in 1976 was a

wonderful chance to learn from scratch what the

teachings of this misunderstood religion really

proclaimed. You may or may not know that the word

Islam is rooted in the word 'peace'.

Yes, some have claimed that there are verses in the

Qur'an which endorse violence and fanaticism. But all

that proves is that, when you quote out of context to

further your own particular brand of extremism, you

can choose any book on the shelf. Islam is not alone.

The message I picked up from the Qur'an was quite

different. I found the light of knowledge and

godliness shining from the verses and stories, linking

mankind together as one family, regardless of

colour, status or nationality. It told me of the

wondrous universal teachings of peace and unity

advocated by the greatest of educators, people such as

Abraham, Moses, Jesus and others. Yet the followers of

these messengers, in defiance of their noble

teachings, have indulged in countless wars.

You can't blame the teachers. You have to blame the

distortions and ignorance of their followers.

Again, Islam is not unique in this. At the end of

every Friday sermon around the world, in every mosque,

the imam usually recites the following words from the

Qur'an: "Verily, God commands justice and

kindness and giving to relatives and He forbids

indecency, objectionable actions and extremism. God

instructs you that you may be reminded."

Yet no matter what the teachings convey, some

listeners will be selective, and may choose not to be

reminded.

It's uncomfortable but easy to imagine youths today Ð

many of whom are fugitives from the mosques in the

first place Ð growing up against the backdrop of the

injustices lambasting the Muslim world, being

impressed by the fiery rhetoric of the sharp-tongued

dogmatists. Youngsters are naturally attracted to

short-cut solutions. This is where many of the

problems start.

Education is crucial. Here in Britain, the education

system has been slow, at best, in allowing Islamic

teachings to be taught in their full breadth. There is

a lack of commitment to the rigours of

traditional learning.

In the West, where Islam is denigrated and prejudice

abounds, where headlines designed to shock and

mesmerize dominate people's minds, the real teachings

of the faith are left for people to fall upon by

chance. In terms of spiritual and moral nourishment,

it has been left to largely irregular and inadequate

models of religious education to deliver the goods.

An hour-long mosque sermon, once a week, which most

Muslims attend, or a lecture by a visiting scholar who

barely speaks English and has little understanding of

British and European life, are never likely to deliver

the balanced curriculum necessary to build the

conscientious believer, one who not only knows his

duty to God but also to the society and world he lives

in.

The July 7 bombers attended state schools in Britain,

not faith-based schools. Some of them, we are told,

briefly visited madrassa schools in Pakistan. This may

or may not be relevant, but it suggests that

they felt they had had insufficient Islamic education

in Britain. By going abroad, they laid themselves open

to influences outside normal scholastic parameters.

If we fail to provide authentic and traditional

spiritual values within everyday schooling, we allow

rogue ideologists to distort the essence of religious

concepts. We also exclude invaluable wisdom and

repress the strong spirit of devotion that many

believers naturally feel.

The teachings of Islam have nothing to do with the

recent barbarities. The problem, to oversimplify, is

not too much Islam but too little. In the same way,

Christianity didn't produce Hitler; but the absence of

true Christian teachings and a lack of strong

spiritual role models must have contributed.

Faith-based education produces major benefits. At,

Islamia Primary, the first Muslim school to be granted

aided status by the British government, by conforming

to and delivering the national curriculum,

we are able to balance society's needs with the

aspirations of Muslim parents. The results are not

perfect, but they are encouraging.

Children and particularly those disposed to

disaffection, need spiritual support and firm moral

borders when confronted by the pressures of modern

life. We aim to provide these in a context of

learning.

Historically, Islamic civilization nurtured the

development of science and spurred the arrival of the

European Renaissance. "Seek knowledge, even if it is

in China", is a much quoted Islamic proverb

attributed to Prophet Muhammad. An uneducated Muslim

is a dangerous entity to himself as well as to others.

Ignorance contradicts the very essence of true Islam,

which is based on the love and search for

knowledge. So without knowledge, please don't blame

Islam.

Yusuf Islam is chairman of the International Board for

Educational Research and Resources. In 2004 he was

honoured with the 'Man for Peace' award by a committee

of Nobel peace laureates.

Andri P. Nugroho

Graduate Studies in Strategy and Defence

The Australian National University

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

+61 2 612 56436

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/TXWolB/TM