THE STREET MIMBAR Khutbah (28 July 2006)
  e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] webpage: www.geocities.com/khutbahs
  Suggestions & Criticisms: PLEASE E-MAIL
  It is such a manner that We make plain our signs so that the course of the
  criminals may become clear.

  Bismillah Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem.
  Alhumdulillah. Peace and blessings on Muhammad, his Noble Companions and
Family.
  Brothers and Sisters, Muslims whose relationship with Allah is one of
responsibilities and duties and one of tasks and obligations....

  audio on http://www.islamiccenterdc.com/khutbassermons.htm?archived=1&page=8
(12-02-2005)

  CONSOLIDATING THE MUSLIM RANK AND FILE PART 13
  KING MU'AWIYA- (1)
  With reliance upon Allah, we will continue to break through the walls of
ignorance and misunderstandings and offer our effort to Allah in trying to
consolidate at least a common understanding that will preclude us from what is
otherwise a bleak and a doomed future. In the previous khutbahs, we took a
closer look at the way our previous, 1st generation of Muslims dealt with the
issue of power. We tried to follow as conscientiously as possible the
information that we have available to us, and we pursued that line of
information closely as it unraveled or as it developed until the 1st king of
Islam took his position by force from a camp or a block of Muslims , beginning
with Abu Bakr (radi Allahu anhu) and ending with Hassan (radi Allahu anhu), who
were concerned with, 1st and foremost, the issue of justice, a free Islamic
conscience, the equality of the committed Muslims and with Islamic
participation in the decision making process. We followed this type of concern
and how
 it eventually gave way to another type of concern, which is to govern and not
be burdened with the issues of justice, equality, participatory politics or the
issue of a free Islamic conscience and mind. This is a new set of people which
we have to reconsider in light of what happened, because all of this was to
usher in events that had no equivalent and no precedent- events like ibn Ziyad
having the head of Al-Imam Husein (radi Allahu anhu) presented to him on a
platter. Whichever way a person may understand Islam, this is not something
that can be explained from the Qur'an or from the sunnah. Because of this
unscrupulous obsession with power, as represented by the 1st king in Islam, we
were to witness later on, the horses of this new power structure commit a
massacre in Al-Medinah, referred to in Islamic history as Yawm Al-Harra- the
horses came into the Prophets Masjid and urinated between his grave and the
Mimbar. Because of this new set of rulers, we were to have a
 class of Muslim scholars who were going to say that Al-Imam Husein was
slaughtered in accordance with the shari'ah of his grandfather (sallalahu
alaihi wa sallam). Things that don't make sense at all were going to become
part of our history. We were going to begin to have a class of Muslim scholars
who would argue in a scholarly way- is it prohibited or is it not prohibited
during the days of Hajj to bleed a mosquito or a fly or an insect, but they
would not look at the shedding of the blood of the Mujahidin who stood for
justice. They were more concerned with the blood of insects than they were with
the blood of the Mujahidin who were inside the Islamic context, trying to stop
a deviation that protended ominous days for future generations with these
events in our history. With these events in our history, it should behoove us
to take a closer look with our minds and our conscience and our combined
understanding of the Qur'an and the Prophet, to see where the beginnings of
 all of this are. To do that, we are going to have to muster enough courage to
take a hard look at the formative years of what later on became a monarchy, or
in the words of Allahs Prophet, in the hadith in which he refers to the
sequence of Islamic Governance- the Khilafah and then, Al-Mulk Al-Adud- the
type of monarchy that we are going to take consideration of. How and where are
the roots and the beginning and the genesis of this monarchy?

  With our best understanding of this early era of Islam, we can trace it back
to the feelings of solidarity that predate the Prophet, the Qur'an and Islam.
There's something we can call nowadays, Al-Usrah Al-Umawiyah- the Umawi family,
Al-Ashirah Al-Qurashiyah- the tribalism of Quraish and Al-Qabaliyah
Al-Arabiyah- which can be roughly upgraded today to mean Arab Nationalism.
These elements were at work prior to the Prophet, the Qur'an and to Islam.
Then, all of a sudden, as if coming from no where, this society that had these
three important and integral elements to it was presented with a problem- Islam
is Justice, Allah is Just and the Qur'an is justice, and family solidarity,
clannish interests and nationalist priorities don't recognize this type of
justice. So the struggle began, and it continued during these years that we are
familiar with- the years referred to as the Makkan era and the era of
Al-Medinah. We don't have to cover this territory, because we have a
 sense of what it was about. The area that we have to cover though is towards
the 23rd year of this cumulative life-long effort which was centered around
justice, equality, participation of the people, freedom of conscience and
thought.

  What happened was the forces of the Umawi family, the tribalism of Quraish
and Al-Qabaliyah, that clung to these notions found themselves at a loss. They
lost this confrontation with Allah and His Prophet and the committed Muslims
who broke out of this mode. They no longer recognized family relations, tribal
clannishness and nationalist interests- that no longer was part of their heart
and soul, but some people still had that. When Allahs Prophet returned to
Makkah, there was a class of people who fought against him. There was a
population of people that spent a generation in a war against him and now they
had to make up their minds. They could either become Muslim, or they would have
to leave that territory altogether or they would have to fight and die. Looking
back at 22years, they saw and they thought that the best thing to do or the
only choice left is to become Muslim. We are speaking here particularly about
Abu Sufyan and Muawiya. So, they became Muslims and the
 rest of Muslims became Muslims. We may refer to them as Quraish At-Taleeqa,
the nationalist Quraish that were amnestied by Allahs Prophet. To refresh our
memories, we have to remind ourselves that Abu Sufyan and Muawiya took charge
of the military force in Makkah against the Islamic forces in Al-Medinah after
Badr. In Badr, shuyukh, senior commanders died and the opposition in Makkah
needed a leader and Abu Sufyan was to fill in that gap, and he thrust the
mushrik forces against the Islamic forces in Al-Medinah. In other words, he
brought an army from Makkah to Al-Medinah to threaten the Muslims twice- in
Uhud and in Al-Khandaq- and in both instances, there was no victory. So, Makkah
was beginning to feel the psychological defeat of its encounter with the devout
and committed Muslims of Al-Medinah. But now, these age long enemies of Islam
became Muslims. When this Prophet of Allah went to Makkah, how did he deal with
these people who said that they are Muslims? They'd been
 fighting the Muslims for over 20 years and now when the power of Islam grew to
an extent that they no longer could challenge, they said "Now, we are Muslims."
What did the Prophet do at this moment? When he saw that Makkah is no longer
resisting, he said "Whoever enters the residence of Abu Sufyan is secure or
safe." The Prophet also gave Abu Sufyan and his son Muawiya 100 livestock. He
gave each one 100- why? Because- we have to take a moment to think about this-
you are not permitted to help Ash-Shaytaan against these types of people- these
were living in the higher positions of society and now they were defeated. So,
the Prophet of Allah called them At-Tulaqa so that he would give an accurate
definition of their status- the Qur'an called them Al-Muallafa Qulubuhum, those
who are left to be won over through their hearts- in a condition like this, you
want to be forth-coming to those whose hearts and minds have been broken after
all of these years, so, he and the Muslims
 were generous towards these Tulaqa, these Al-Muallafa Qulubuhum. There was a
revenue from the Islamic budget that would go to them to help them overcome
this psychological retreat and this inferiority position that they found
themselves in. Also, remember- this is hard for some people to factor in, but
this was part of real life at the time- the Prophet of Allah was married to Abu
Sufyans daughter, Umme Habiba (radi Allahu anha). So, this is not that easy and
simple thing of blindly going to condemn people because lines here are drawn on
the basis of peoples character and not on the basis of family relations. All of
this was to take the antagonistic and belligerent sting out of a generation
that fought against the Prophet in Makkah. But, were Abu Sufyan and Muawiya
really won over to the psychology and character of the Committed Muslims? The
facts later on indicate otherwise. Even though, as far as we know, they never
challenged the rituals of Islam- none of them ever took
 issue with the salaah, or the siyaam, or the zakaah or whatever constitutes
the personal responsibilities of Muslims- never have we come across anything
like that. What we do have though, is a set or a class of people who have the
old attitude of opposing Islam from under a veneer of Islam. This is the new
development that occurs at this time. So, the Prophet of Allah passes on,
trying to blunt the Shaytaani inclinations of people who used to have power but
now lost that power. It was in a sense demeaning to call these opponents and
enemies of Allah and His Prophet when they finally surrendered to the wave of
Islam in its innocence, when they were called At-Tulaqa and Al-Muallafa
Qulubuhum, they felt inferior. Then, if you read these books of history and
seerah etc., you will find that the committed Muslims at that time were not
socializing with these Tulaqa- they would not communicate or associate with Abu
Sufyan and Muawiya and the rest of this class of people.

  When the Prophet of Allah came into Makkah and Islam became the order of
Makkah, it is reported in the common books of history- we're not plucking out
information from a particular side, we're trying as much as possible to stick
to the common history that we have- in the shades of the Ka'ba, when the
Prophet of Allah came to express this sense of equality, justice and
common-hood of the Muslims to the new adherents of this Islam, when he was
stating to them the new value system that many of them reluctantly, in an
opportunistic manner, just to avoid the problems and the trouble if they chose
otherwise he said to them "You- the folks of Quraish! Allah has relieved you of
the upper class man-ship of this pre-Islamic era, of the jahiliyyah culture
that you belonged to and of magnifying your ancestry, i.e. Giving your tribal
affiliations a status in society- Allah has relieved you of that too. Are we
not from Adam? And Adam comes from clay." Then, he quotes the ayah (13) from
 Surah Hujurat that we are all familiar with. When the Prophet of Allah was in
the vicinity of the holy sanctuary in Makkah, stating this to the Quraishi
public, Abu Sufyan and a couple of other prior mushriks were sitting around the
Ka'ba and they were making statements- "How did we reach this condition that we
are in now." – feeling either negative or sorry about the condition that they
are in. When these two people with Abu Sufyan were saying these types of
things, Abu Sufyan said (we're paraphrasing here) "I'm afraid that if I were to
speak, these stones around would inform on me." If this was a Muslim at this
time, even though the Prophet was dealing in a delicate manner with the
potential transitional psychology that this person may be in, this statement
divulges to us the real self of this person.

  He goes up to Allah Prophet later on, and according to some sources of
information- he pleads with him, "to have my son become a scribe, a person who
will register the scripture that is being revealed to you.", and he wanted
something else, he wanted a position of power- someone from his family, himself
or someone from his sons to become a military commander- he didn't get that
type of request, but his son Muawiya was given the leeway to write. The person
knew how to write, let him write what there is of these ayaat and this wahy.
When the Prophet passes away, and in As-Saqifa, this is another time where a
persons real personality surfaces- when there was a little commotion around
what's going to happen right now? Who's going to lead the Muslims? Who's going
to fill in this vacuum? Abu Sufyan urges, (not that he had much clout, this was
in Al-Medinah, this was a place where his power base that was in Makkah really
didn't have much clout,) the Muslims to agree that Ali
 (radi Allahu anhu) become the leader of the Muslims. He doesn't do this
because he recognizes the virtues, qualities and merits of Ali. He does this
because he recognizes the group solidarity within Quraish- because Ali was
closer to Abu Sufyan than Abu Bakr and Umar (radi Allahu anhuma) were to him.
If we were to take the pedigree of Quraish, Abu Bakr and Umar came from Taim-
they weren't the immediate cousins of the Umawi clan as were the Hashimis, from
whom Ali (radi Allahu anhu) is an individual. So, on the basis of this Usrah
and Ashirah and Qabaliyah, he spoke what was on his mind. But he didn't find a
response because the majority of the Muslims who were around were convinced
that they don't want the culture of jahiliyyah to influence their decisions,
especially on this matter.

  So, the days and the years go by, without any break through until now as far
as regaining that stature and that position of power in Makkah. During the rule
of Abu Bakr and Umar- the Islamic territories had expanded into the North, the
East, the South and the West and people are going to have to be given
responsibilities. One of the responsibilities that was given to the sons of Abu
Sufyan is that they should be... Let us track back a moment here. During the
time of the 1st successor to Allahs Prophet, the Islamic forces were under the
leadership of Khalid ibn Al-Walid (radi Allahu anhu), and one of the major
generals, in todays language, around Khalid was Abu Ubaidah ibn Al-Jarrah (radi
Allahu anhu). These basically were the military type of men. They were looking,
as should be the case, at who qualifies to be in charge of this area- who is
familiar with this area. We're talking about an area referred to in Islamic
history as Bilad Ash-Shaam- the geography of today says
 that it is Palestine, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon. They were looking at who
qualifies to be in a position to administer this area. These were
administration responsibilities. This responsibility was given to Yazid, the
brother of Muawiya and the son of Abu Sufyan. This was done because, and this
is also a piece of history that also goes un-thought of- the Umawis, before the
advent of the Prophet and before Islam, used to track in their commercial
pursuits between Arabia and Ash-Shaam. They used to go several times a year on
commercial missions to that area. It is even said that there was a dispute- the
grand-father of Muawiya and his grand-uncle had some type of fall out between
themselves and one of them, the grand-uncle, moved from Makkah to Damascus. So,
this family, not only was it familiar with these people, this territory and
this culture, but they also had something like a residence there. So, you would
want to give administrative responsibilities to people who had
 some qualifications here, and it may also have been with a streak of extending
the concept of Al-Muallafa Qulubuhum, because up until now, they didn't show
any outright hostility to the central Islamic government in Al-Medinah. So-
give them this responsibility. After a short while, Muawiyas brother Yazid, who
was basically in-charge of what is today Jordan passes and Muawiya becomes an
inheritor to the area of Jordan in addition to the area of Damascus or
Ash-Shaam. This is the explanation of why they occupied these positions. Also,
when Amr ibn Al-Aas was given the governor-ship of Egypt, it is because he was
a person who had traveled there many times and was familiar with and had
experience with these people. You can't send someone, as sincere as they may
be, but cannot have administrative qualities to perform the responsibilities
and the duties that come from that position. This is how they began to climb
the Islamic social ladder- it was through the military. But
 having this position would not fool Abu Bakr or Umar- as a matter of internal
policy or internal decision making, there was a very serious disagreement
between Abu Bakr and Umar as to how far or for how long is this concept of
Al-Muallafa Qulubuhum applied. Is it going to be forever? Are we going to keep
on paying these Tulaqa or these Al-Muallafa Qulubuhum this monthly stipend or
there shall come a time when they're going to have to prove themselves. Umar
was of the opinion that enough years had lapsed and they should prove
themselves- they should not be on this, let's say, Islamic dough. Abu Bakr
during his time disagreed with that. Nevertheless, these individuals gained
these positions and they used the goodness in the Muslim hearts of Al-Quraish
Al-Muhajirah.

  Remember, before we were looking at Islamic history as it unfolded towards
the north and the east, Al-Kufa, Al-Basrah and the Iraqi areas, now, we are
looking at Islamic history as it unfolded in the north and towards the west. We
begin to have now, in this new dimension of Islam an excessive expression of
opportunism.

  Remember how sensitive Ali (radi Allahu anhu) was to people who wanted to
express themselves, even though they were against his own opinion; how he left
them the freedom to do so, and when it comes to Muawiya, how a person like
Hujar who refused to annul the Hadd, an Islamic legal procedure, and go along
with him and his types was killed. This is what happens in autocratic
dictatorial expressions of state functions and positions. This is a new type of
government that the Muslims are going to have to take a good look at, without
the type of sectarianism and without the type of nationalism that is
interjected almost always into reconsidering and rethinking the details of this
history. We have to mature enough to look at this and come out comfortably
without the accusations and counter accusations of Sunni verse Shi'i or Arab
verse A'jami- we have to outgrow all of that and look at the merits and the
de-merits of these issues one by one, step by step, heart with heart and
 mind contributing to mind. This new chapter- Muawiya was in Ash-Shaam 20 years
as an Ameer, as a governor, roughly speaking, and he was there also 20 years as
a king. That's 40 years of a type of administration that does not countenance,
that cannot tolerate criticism, plurality and even serious disagreements- it
doesn't tolerate any of that. There was a type of lobby that lived on, from
those early days in Makkah, when Makkah was finally subdued by the will of the
committed Muslims according to the Qur'an and the Prophet which lived on to
work to regain its position in power. It found its channel through the military
and finally, it unfolded in some of the details that we were looking at-
Al-Jamal, Siffin and from here on, we are going to have other experiences with
it, that have throughout 14 centuries snowballed, accumulated and reached the
peaks of autocratic, dictatorial, monarchical, non-representative governments
that we have in our Islamic lands, countries and
 territories.

  Brothers and sisters, committed Muslims
  Today, we live in a world in which you and I can see for our own selves- just
look at what's happening and you can see some Muslims who are anxious to align
themselves with those who are at war with the Muslims. Need we say who they are
by their names?! There's enough of them around that you cannot miss them. You
can almost point to any government in the Muslim sphere of the world, and you
will be almost 99% right that that government is anxious to side with the
external threats and leave the Muslims to the tragedies that follow, and this
is why what we are talking about is relevant to today. When the king to be,
Muawiya was concerned and overworked with trying to defeat Ali, he was willing
to pay the Byzantines to neutralize that front- at least for a while. That may
have been the 1st detection of Muslims who were in power who were willing to
ally themselves with the devil to tend to internal Islamic issues. Later on, we
saw this happen. During the Abbasi era, the kings
 who were in Baghdad, Harun Ar-Rashid was willing to be on good terms with
Sharlemon, in France, so that they could get rid of the Muslims in Al-Andulus.
Later on, we saw how the Fatimis in Egypt, were willing to be on good terms
with the Crusaders so that Salah Ad-Din would not be able to bring about the
consolidation to liberate Palestine from that 1st form of colonialism and
imperialism nearly 1,000 years ago. This is what we see today developing in
front of our own eyes- it's just the re-run of what began to happen during that
time. For how long are we willing to visualize these types of arrangements?
This is going to go on for a long time as long as these Masaajid that we have
don't bring this information and place it in our heads so that we can begin to
make sense out of it, learn from our mistakes and improve the efforts of those
who preceded us. This is what needs to be done today. And please- brothers and
sisters, please- if anyone wants to try to help in this
 regard, leave out the issues of todays nationalism and sectarianism- anytime
these issues are put into this mix, they just spoil the whole effort. Let us
try to look at them with the maturity of our brotherhood, the sincerity of our
togetherness and with the devotion that we all have towards Allah and His
Prophet.

Ajaklah teman dan saudara anda bergabung ke milis Media Dakwah.
Kirim email ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional