August 22, 2006  Tuesday  Rajab 26, 1427

Indonesia seeks to lure back tourists

By Sugita Katyal

JAKARTA: It has all the ingredients of a tourist paradise: stunning beaches,
a countryside with lush paddy fields, grand heritage buildings and a deeply
mystical culture.

But tourism in Indonesia, a sprawling archipelago of some 17,000 islands,
has been shaken to the core by a string of disasters from bomb attacks on
the resort island of Bali to deadly tsunamis and bird flu outbreaks.

“Indonesia has been hit by so many misfortunes, and there doesn’t seem to be
an end to it,” said Meity Robot, vice-chair of the Indonesian Tourism
Council. “It’s not easy for us to convince people to come back,” she told
Reuters.

Indonesia’s tourism industry was only just recovering from the Asian
financial crisis of the late 1990s when it suffered a devastating blow in
2002 with Islamic militants bombing nightclubs on Bali, killing 202 people,
most of them foreigners.

Since then, a string of disasters have kept tourists away.

The industry took a big hit from the devastating Indian Ocean tsunami of Dec
2004 as well as a tsunami this year that struck a popular beach resort in
Java and a massive earthquake in May in Yogyakarta, a popular Java tourist
destination.

A bird flu outbreak, which has killed more than 40 people in Indonesia, has
also kept visitors away.

“We have to tell visitors these are natural disasters, not man-made,” said
Yanti Sukamdani, head of the Indonesian Hotel and Restaurants Association.

“We’re trying to get the government to educate people on tsunamis and get an
early warning system in place. But if a warning system is not set up in
Bali, business could be hit,” she added.

The drop in tourism since the 2004 tsunami continued this year with foreign
tourist arrivals dropping 7.5 per cent to 1.89 million in the first half of
2006, the statistics bureau said. Four million tourists visited Indonesia
last year.

Indonesian tourism officials are trying to turn the tide by promoting other
parts of the country that have been spared by natural disasters.

“Besides Bali and Java that have always been main tourist destinations, we
have areas like Lombok, Sumatra, Kalimantan and eastern Indonesia for marine
tourism,” said Sambujo Parikesit, a senior tourism ministry official.

Nature reserves in Kalimantan and stone-age villages in Papua are enticing
to adventure travellers. High-end tourists can take their pick of secluded
luxury resorts where prices are dropping due to low occupancy rates.

The slowdown in tourism, which accounts for around five Per cent of
Indonesia’s GDP and raked in about $4.4 billion last year, is compounding a
cooling of the economy.

With fewer tourists, shopkeepers in deserted souvenir shops on once-packed
streets in Bali’s popular Kuta area are desperate. Some wear T-shirts
emblazoned with abusive messages against militants. “The bombs have really
affected our business,” said a sarong-clad woman at an art shop.

But despite the potential dangers, some tourists say they are not deterred
from enjoying Indonesia’s sun-kissed beaches.

“I am not afraid of being in Bali. A quake and tsunami could happen
anywhere. Bali is beautiful, the waves are great,” said Mick, a 24-year-old
Australian surfer, as he waded out of the water at Kuta.

—Reuters
http://www.dawn.com/2006/08/22/int18.htm

Web:

Klik:

http://mediacare.blogspot.com

atau

www.mediacare.biz

Untuk berlangganan MEDIACARE, kirim email kosong ke:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yahoo! Groups Links