Indonesia Stops Sharing Avian Virus Samples
from the intellectual- property- flu dept.

posted by kdawson on Thursday February 08, @13:48 (Biotech)
http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/08/1743249

  [0]dankrabach writes
  "Indonesia has apparently decided to play the IP game, with the world's
health at stake. The country, one of the hardest-hit by avian flu, has stopped
submitting virus samples to the
World Health Organization, and is negotiating to [1]sell them to an American
drug company that makes the vaccine. They feel slighted when they give away
such samples, but then cannot afford the patented vaccines. Logical to me,
given the rules of the game; however, can't we come up with some GPL'ish
license to free any product based on this
data?"

  Discuss this story at:
http://science.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=07/02/08/1743249

  Links: