sekedar reposting :

Ada 2 kelirumologi disini:
1) breastfeeding milk dituduh sbg pencetus lactose intolerant
Di artikel dibawah dibahas bhw Lactose didalam tubuh di-metabolis
tubuh menjadi glucose & galactose. Galactose ini merupakan nutrisi
penting utk pengembangan sel2 otak.
Tambahan dari Dr. Greene webs
(http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=836):
"Infants from all parts of the world do tolerate lactose--otherwise
they couldn't digest breast milk well. Their bodies make an enzyme,
lactase, which enables them to digest the sugar in milk. As a result,
in healthy full-term infants lactose intolerance is extremely RARE.
It is more common in premature babies, who are sometimes lactose
intolerant until they begin to approach their original due dates. At
that point, their bodies start making lactase.

Tambahan lagi:
www.dhss.mo.gov/wic/WICupdates/Attachments/LactoseIntolerance-MilkAllergyApr
il2005nutrupdate.ppt
A closer look at the options for managing milk allergy or lactose
intolerance results in a wide variation of what works.  The one
recommendation that can be applied almost universally is that
breastfeeding is the best option for most infants.  Human milk is very
different from cow's milk and prepared infant formula.  Human milk
protein is much easier for the infant to absorb.  However, infants who
have the rare inherited metabolic disorder, galactosemia, cannot
metabolize lactose and may not be breastfed.  Infants with
Phenylketonuria (PKU) may receive breastmilk because of its low
protein concentration if they are monitored carefully for blood
phenylalanine levels.

2) breastfeeding hanya utk orang2 miskin.
Kalo saya sih bilang "Breastfeeding hanya untuk orang2 CERDAS, yg
PAHAM ilmu kesehatan dan PAHAM pentingnya memberikan nutrisi yg
TERBAIK untuk anaknya".

Ada artikel dari ask Dr. Sears
(http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T020200.asp) yg cukup jelas menjawab
ttg ini, mudah2an kita tidak bosan karena ini sebenarnya sudah terlalu
sering dibahas.

BREASTFEEDING BUILDS BRIGHTER BRAINS

We can't promise that breastfeeding will make your child a Nobel Prize
winner, but research shows that babies who are breastfed are smarter
when they get older.

    * Children who were breastfed have I.Q. scores averaging seven to
ten points higher than formula-fed infants. It's important to remember
that these numbers represent averages for hundreds of children, not
the effect of breastfeeding on a specific individual. So, if you want
to raise the intelligence level of an entire generation of children,
breastfeeding would be a simple and cost-effective way to do it.
    * Studies have shown that children who are breastfed get higher
grades in school, even after other influences on school performance
are taken into account.
    * The intellectual advantage gained from breastfeeding is greater
the longer the baby is breastfed.

Although intellectual differences between breastfed and formula-fed
children used to be attributed to the increased holding and
interaction associated with breastfeeding and to the fact that mothers
who breastfed were better educated and/or more child-centered, new
evidence shows that there are nutrients in breastmilk that enhance
brain growth.

Smarter fats. One key ingredient in breastmilk is a brain-boosting fat
called DHA (docasahexaenoic acid), an omega-3 fatty acid. DHA is a
vital nutrient for growth, development, and maintenance of brain
tissue. Autopsy analysis of brain tissue from breastfed and
formula-fed infants shows that the brains of breastfed babies have a
higher concentration of DHA, and DHA levels are highest in babies who
are breastfed the longest. Infant formulas made in the United States
do not contain DHA.

Nutritip. To insure that babies get enough nutrients for their growing
brains, it's important that breastfeeding mothers get enough DHA in
their diets. Rich sources of DHA are fish (particularly salmon and
tuna). Increases DHA will will benefit mom's health, too. Remember the
nutritional rule of F's: four ounces of fish a day keeps central
nervous system degeneration at bay.

Cholesterol. Another fat needed for optimal brain development.
Breastmilk contains a lot of cholesterol, while infant formulas
currently contain none. "Low in cholesterol" may be good news for
adult diets, but not for babies--cholesterol provides basic components
for manufacturing nerve tissue in the growing brain.

DHA, cholesterol, and other breastmilk fats provide the right
substances for manufacturing myelin, the fatty sheath that surrounds
nerve fibers. Myelin acts as insulation, making it possible for nerves
to carry information from one part of the brain or body to another. So
important are these brain-building fats, that if mother's diet doesn't
provide enough of them for her milk, the breasts can make them on the
spot.

Smarter sugars. Lactose is the main sugar in breastmilk. The body
breaks it down into two simpler sugars - glucose and galactose.
Galactose is a valuable nutrient for brain tissue development.
Anthropologists have demonstrated that the more intelligent species of
mammals have greater amounts of lactose in their milk, and human milk
contains one of the highest concentrations of lactose of any mammal
milk. Cow milk and some cow milk formulas contain lactose, but not as
much as human milk. Soy-based and other lactose-free formulas contain
no lactose at all, only table sugar and corn syrup.

Smarter connections. During the first two years of your baby's life,
the brain grows rapidly, and baby's everyday experiences shapes brain
growth. Brains cells, called neurons, multiply and connect with each
other until the brain circuitry resembles miles of tangled electrical
wires. Every time a baby interacts with her environment, her brain
makes a new connection. Because breastmilk is digested faster,
breastfed babies feed more often and therefore probably interact with
their caregivers more often. Breastfeeding itself, with its
skin-to-skin contact, the variations in milk flow, and the closeness
between mother and baby, is usually a more interesting, more
interactive experience than bottle-feeding. This is nature's way of
insuring that babies get the stimulation they need for optimal brain
development.

Hendarwin