Students Dropping Out Of School To Pay RIAA Settlement Fees?
from the educational-campaign,-huh? dept

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081110/0017452784.shtml

You may recall a couple years ago that an RIAA representative suggested
that an MIT student should drop out of school and get a job in order to
pay the fine it was demanding she pay for sharing some music. Now,
according to the associate dean of student development at the University
of Wisconsin, some students are doing exactly that: "Some students have
had to drop out of school in order to pay for their legal fees." No
examples or proof is given, so I'm wondering if this is just a
throw-away line.

However, if it is true, it would be interesting to hear from some of
those students, and to see how the RIAA responds to the situation. No
matter how much you might think the RIAA is right to enforce copyright
law against students, I'm curious to see if anyone can reasonably defend
encouraging a student to drop out of college just to pay off such a
fine. The punishment seems way out of line with the "crime."