Smithsonian Click-n-Drags Itself Forward
Cyber Thinkers, Curators Discuss Digital Challenges

By Joel Garreau
Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, January 26, 2009; C01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/25/AR2009012502179_pf.html

The Smithsonian has decided this whole online contraption may not be a fad
after all.

Over the weekend it invited 31 luminaries of the digital age to talk with
what the institution hopes are its most energetic thought leaders. The
subject: dragging the world's greatest museum complex into the current century.

No small task.

Chris Anderson, editor in chief of Wired, the technorati monthly, tells of
one Smithsonista who proudly observed that her operation's curators had
already carefully picked 1,300 photos and uploaded them to the
social-sharing Web site Flickr.

The problem is that the Smithsonian has 13 million photos.

Well, it's a start. Only 99.99 percent to go.

At this gathering -- "Smithsonian 2.0," it was called -- there was much
talk among the institution's handpicked staffers about the difficulties of
moving this battleship, ocean liner, glacier . . . pick your metaphor. The
invited techies, meanwhile, stressed how deathly soon might come the day
the Smithsonian wakes to discover itself General Motors.

The forward-looking Smithsonistas have a formidable ally. That would be G.
Wayne Clough, who became the Smithsonian's new secretary in July. His
previous gig, fortuitously enough, was being president of Georgia Tech.
This initiative is his idea, and a major thrust of his young
administration. He claims "Smithsonian 2.0" will not be one of those
feel-good events after which hibernation resumes.

"With digitization and with the Web, we can see it all. We can see it all!"
he exults.

Even Natural History's big ole elephant?

"It will take awhile."

For more than a century and a half, the Smithsonian's mission has been to
increase and diffuse knowledge. But since the dawn of the Web, it's been a
laggard on the diffusion part.

The institution authenticates and informs and makes snazzy presentations in
magnificent buildings. Of the Smithsonian's 137 million artifacts, however,
not only is less than 1 percent on display, but most of that is in
Washington. You have to come to the Smithsonian. It doesn't much come to you.

For example, as part of the "Smithsonian 2.0" weekend, the techie VIPs were
brought into the treasure houses behind the displays. By all accounts, the
experience was stellar. They gushed about the curator who could explain the
entire universe in five minutes and then put a meteorite in your hand.

The problem is, that's not the Smithsonian experience for the average Joe,
even if he goes to the time and trouble of buying a ticket to Washington.
It absolutely is not the experience of the kid with the
peanut-butter-sticky computer in the underheated library in Rock Springs, Wyo.

The question for attendees of the "Smithsonian 2.0" discussion was, how can
you get everything -- every thing, every last dung-rolling beetle -- out
there where everyone in the world can get equally excited about it?

The core group of outsiders were heavy dudes, as these things go. The
principal presenters included Bran Ferren, co-chairman and chief creative
officer of the legendary Applied Minds Inc. (Before that he was president
of research and development and creative technology for Walt Disney.) Clay
Shirky is the author of the acclaimed "Here Comes Everybody," the recent
book that looks at the seismic changes being brought about by
decentralized, bottom-up, peer-to-peer technologies. George Oates is one of
the founders of Flickr, the photo-sharing phenomenon.

One of the more memorable moments, however, was watching the prophet of the
best-selling book "The Long Tail" preach to the keepers of the "nation's
attic."

That would be Wired's Anderson. His "long tail" hypothesis has
revolutionized how Web entrepreneurs think about their businesses. The
basic idea, he explained at the event, was that in the Industrial Age,
sales of anything were limited by shelf space. The result was the elevation
of a priesthood of curators, editors and gatekeepers whose job it was to
try to winnow through everything and offer up what they thought might be
the best of the best -- or at least the most likely to sell to the most people.

The Web has changed all that, Anderson points out, even though many of
today's retailers are still limited by their shelf space. The world's
largest retailer, Wal-Mart, might carry 50,000 tracks of recorded music,
while there might be 10 million cuts available on the Web. Even the biggest
brick-and-mortar bookstores carry only the tiniest fraction of all the
books available from Amazon. Similarly, there are only so many pages in any
newspaper or magazine -- including Anderson's own, he was quick to point out.

These days, not only can you now easily find everything online but --
here's the key point -- the bestsellers are no longer the heart and soul of
commerce. The barely known but easily discoverable works combined far
outsell all the bestsellers -- because there are so many of them. A jillion
books that sell 500 or even five copies per year are vastly more numerous
-- and collectively more profitable -- than anybody's top-10 list.

Unlimited abundance via the Web is not the only reason for the end of the
curatorial function of the 20th century, Anderson said. It's also that the
gatekeepers "got it wrong every time." Every month, Anderson said, he picks
which story will be on the cover of Wired, and every single month some
other story ends up being the most read.

"If you're given infinite choice and the tools to help you find stuff, then
we will start to diversify our choice, and define our communities of
interest," he told the audience. "It often turns out that the stuff we love
the most is the stuff that's not the blockbuster. The stuff that we all
like collectively -- the Super Bowl -- are things we don't feel as
passionately about. Less popular things are actually more meaningful to us
as individuals."

Anderson's fetish, for example, is Lego robots. In what might be a mammoth
understatement, he revealed that there is no place for this interest in his
magazine. But online, he has found a community of people like him.

The discovery of the "long tail" principle has implications for museums
because it means there is vast room at the bottom for everything. Which
means, Anderson said, that curators need to get over themselves. Their
influence will never be the same.

"The Web is messy, and in that messiness comes something new and
interesting and really rich," he said. "The strikethrough is the canonical
symbol of the Web. It says, 'We blew it, but we are leaving that mistake
out there. We're not perfect, but we get better over time.' "

If you think that notion gives indigestion to an organization like the
Smithsonian -- full of people who have devoted much of their lifetimes to
bringing near-perfect luster to some tiny pearl of truth -- you would be
correct.

The problem is, "the best curators of any given artifact do not work here,
and you do not know them," Anderson told the Smithsonian thought leaders.
"Not only that, but you can't find them. They can find you, but you can't
find them. The only way to find them is to put stuff out there and let them
reveal themselves as being an expert."

Take something like, oh, everything the Smithsonian's got on 1950s Cold War
aircraft. Put it out there, Anderson suggested, and say, "If you know
something about this, tell us." Focus on the those who sound like they have
phenomenal expertise, and invest your time and effort into training these
volunteers how to curate. "I'll bet that they would be thrilled, and that
they would pay their own money to be given the privilege of seeing this
stuff up close. It would be their responsibility to do a good job" in
authenticating it and explaining it. "It would be the best free labor that
you can imagine."

It didn't go down easily among the thought leaders, who have staked their
lives' work on authoritativeness, on avoiding strikethroughs. What about
the quality and strength of the knowledge we offer? asked one Smithsonian
attendee.

You don't get it, Anderson suggested. "There aren't enough of you. Your
skills cannot be invested in enough areas to give that quality."

It's like Wikipedia and the Encyclopedia Britannica, Anderson said. Some
Wikipedia entries certainly are not as perfectly polished as the
Britannica. But "most of the things I'm interested in are not in the
Britannica. In exchange for a slight diminution of the credentialed voice
for a small number of things, you would get far more for a lot of things.
Something is better than nothing." And right now at the Smithsonian, what
you get, he said, is "great" or "nothing."

"Is it our job to be smart and be the best? Or is it our job to share
knowledge?" Anderson asked.

That's a profound question for the Smithsonian.

"It's a psychological process you have to go through."

George Antunes                    Voice (713) 743-3923
Associate Professor               Fax   (713) 743-3927
Political Science                    Internet: antunes at uh dot edu
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-3011