PETER FUNT
Google is watching

By Peter Funt  |  February 9, 2009
The Boston Globe

'THERE was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched
at any given moment . . . It was even conceivable that they watched
everybody all the time."

That quote from George Orwell's "1984" becomes increasingly prescient
in light of developments in eavesdropping, pioneered by Google.
Recently the company launched a service called Latitude, which allows
consenting users to monitor each other's whereabouts. It's the
company's latest snooping tool, the most controversial being the
Street Views photographic mapping service.

When I tried Street Views by entering my address, I was surprised to
see that with a single click a truly Orwellian image popped onto the
screen: my house, my car, the newspaper in the driveway. I could zoom
in for a clear view of the open window on the second floor and the
handy drain pipe that potential burglars might use to reach that
window when no one was home.

Google has been working on Street Views for nearly two years, an
incredibly tedious process. As remarkable as the computer results
are, they still require hired motorists, known as GeoImmersive Data
Producers, to drive up and down every street using 11 roof-mounted
cameras to snap 360-degree images.

Boston was among the first cities captured by Street Views, but much
of Massachusetts remains unphotographed. For example, a two-hour
drive from a friend's house in Lenox to my daughter's college in
Norton yields only two photos: the entrance to the Mass. Pike and, 96
miles later, the exit to I-495.

But when Street Views does come to a community, it tends to spark
great curiosity and raging debate about the propriety of Google's
remarkable feat. To some, it is an outrageous invasion of privacy - a
true step toward the world Orwell envisioned. To others, including
Google management, it is simply the latest beneficial - and
commercially valuable - use of modern technology.

After arguing that Street Views showed nothing more than could be
seen by anyone traveling on public property, Google agreed to blur
all identifiable faces and license plates. But by conceding that
much, Google opens the door to demands that, say, doors should be
blurred, and for that matter upstairs windows and drain pipes.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/02/09/google_is_watching/