www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-clocks-city-zone-01may01,0,3724328.story

Blind workers: Clockmakers for U.S.
Lighthouse factory lets blind workers earn a living making government
wall clocks

By Rex W. Huppke
Chicago Tribune reporter

May 1, 2009

There's a reality Albert Harris has faced for more than three decades,
since the day a mugger stole his vision with a gunshot in the head: "A
lot of places, they don't like to hire you when you're blind."

That's not as true now as it was when Harris first lost his sight, but
it's still true enough that he feels blessed each day to come to his
job. Harris is a clockmaker, part of a small but ferociously productive
Chicago company that supplies wall clocks to U.S. government buildings
across the country and around the world.

"If you go to the post office here in Chicago, you'll probably see one
of our clocks," said Jean-Claude Kappler, director of Chicago Lighthouse
Industries, a facility on Roosevelt Road where blind and visually
impaired people have been hired to build clocks since the late 1970s.
"And if you go to the U.S. Embassy in London you'll probably see one of
our clocks there too. They're everywhere."

With a staff of 22, the company -- part of the Chicago Lighthouse
program -- makes nearly 170,000 wall clocks a year, earning enough to
cover all costs and even making a little money to share with other
Lighthouse work programs.

Dan Lee, a former director of the plant and longtime Lighthouse board
member, said he believes the decades-long success of the clock factory
proves the effectiveness of blind workers.

"All the time I hear people say, 'Blind people can't do that,' " said
Lee, who is visually impaired. "But you look around in here and you see
we can do it. We do, do it."

Rita McCabe has been doing it for 29 years, coming in each morning and
swiftly attaching faceplates to 12-inch diameter plastic frames, deftly
screwing black metal hour and minute hands into place. Her movement is
effortless, her lack of vision irrelevant. By day's end, she'll have
assembled several hundred clocks, sending them down a conveyor belt
where another visually impaired worker will inspect them by feel and by
listening for the faint hum of the battery-powered motor.

"It's nice to be able to come to work, for one thing, to earn a living,"
said McCabe, 58. "A lot of people here have had a hard time finding
jobs. I thank God every morning that I have this job."

Kappler said the unemployment rate for blind people is about 70 percent.
Workers at the Lighthouse clock factory earn $8.75 an hour and receive
health benefits.

The ideal is that blind people -- many of whom have never had a chance
to work -- will come to the factory, learn the skills needed to hold
down a job and then move on to other companies. That happens to an
extent, though Kappler says the outside opportunities can be scarce.

And some, long held back by their disability, aren't as able or willing
to settle into the workaday world.

"There's a lot of fear in the beginning, and we have some that don't
succeed," Kappler said. "But the vast majority that come through here,
once they're given the opportunity, they run with it."

The program started in 1977, focusing on clocks because the assembly
process is straightforward and, with proper training, adaptable to
people with limited sight. Since its inception, Chicago Lighthouse
Industries has been a leading provider of clocks for the U.S.
government, though about six years ago the company also branched into
the commercial market. Clocks made by McCabe and Harris are now sold
through major office-supply stores, and the company's catalog of styles
has expanded from simple 12-inch office clocks to more decorative
wood-framed clocks and even ones with special-order faceplates bearing
almost any design.

"That's one of the things I like here," said Roy Killins, a 57-year-old
plant supervisor who lost his job as a mechanic years ago because his
company's insurance wouldn't cover him. "I enjoy the challenges of
starting new products, figuring what we can do next. This job has
allowed me to feed my family, to stay productive. That's all I can ask for."

--
George Antunes, Political Science Dept