http://www.onpointradio.org/2009/07/controlling-the-american-appetite

Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM EDT
Controlling the American Appetite

Listen
http://www.onpointradio.org/stand-alone-player?fileUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bu.edu%2Fwbur%2Fstorage%2F2009%2F07%2Fonpoint_0702_1.mp3&fileTitle=Controlling%20the%20American%20Appetite&starttime=

http://realserver.bu.edu:8080/ramgen/w/b/wbur/storage/2009/07/onpoint_0702_1.rm

mms://realserver.bu.edu:554/w/b/wbur/storage/2009/07/onpoint_0702_1.wma

Remember David Kessler back in the 1990s, when he was head of the FDA? The guy
who took on Big Tobacco?

He's on a new crusade now, and it's not about smoking, it's about eating -
about our national culture of food. He points to a huge and profitable food
industry and its legion of well-paid scientists who work hard to make their
products literally irresistible, to make us eat almost non-stop.

He says we've got to understand our own appetites, and to change how America
looks at food.

This hour, On Point: David Kessler on controlling the American appetite.

You can join the conversation. Tell us what you think - here on this page, on
Twitter, and on Facebook.

-Jane Clayson, guest host

Guest:

    Dr. David Kessler joins us from San Francisco. He was Commissioner of the
Food and Drug Administration from 1990-1997, under the first President Bush and
President Clinton. During his time at the FDA, he led the campaign to regulate
tobacco and the landmark lawsuit FDA v. Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corp. He is
a pediatrician and lawyer. His new book is "The End of Overeating: Taking
Control of the Insatiable American Appetite."

    Read an excerpt from the book, in which Kessler goes "inside the
unregulated, wild world of food processing."
http://www.onpointradio.org/2009/07/the-end-of-overeating-excerpt