Jeff Bertolucci

Oct 3, 2009 3:04 pm

http://www.pcworld.com/article/173074/bings_biggest_enemy_in_search_wars
_hint_not_google_exactly.html

It won't be clear for some time whether Bing's attempt to grab search
engine market share from Google has stalled, or even gone into reverse.
The September numbers from Web metrics firm Net Applications show a
slight drop in Bing's global market share, although Google's whopping
share of the pie -- still north of 80 percent -- dipped a bit too.

The takeaway could be that Web users have tried Bing out of curiosity
and have found it to be, well, good. Which it is. Bing is a fine search
engine. Microsoft should be proud. Problem is, good isn't enough to sway
the masses to leave Google behind.

Bing's apparent stagnation may simply be a result of inertia, or an
"indisposition to motion, exertion or change," according to
Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary. Web users are comfortable with
Google. We've used it for years. It's a part of our daily routine.

Many of us have a Google toolbar in our browser. Google Search is
integrated in the Web sites we visit regularly. And the brand has
morphed into a verb, as in, "Why don't you Google me?"

Ever hear someone say, "Why don't you Bing me?" If Google is the
Coca-Cola of Web search, Bing is RC Cola.

Web search is a utility. Most of us don't give it a second thought, nor
do we want to. Who wants to ponder, "I wonder if I should try Bing,
Google, or Yahoo for this particular search?"

Again, inertia is Google's greatest ally.

To steal significant market share from Google, Bing needs a
jaw-dropping, tell-your-friends advancement. But despite Bing's
thoughtful design, it's no jaw-dropper.

What should Microsoft do? Some pundits believe Bing should add real-time
search capabilities similar to what Twitter offers; in other words, the
capability to find out what's happening now on the Web, not last week or
last year.

Of course, Google's working to improve the timeliness of its search
results too, a factor that poses another challenge to Bing.

In the past, Microsoft has been notorious for force-feeding its products
and services down the throats of unsuspecting users, and it may try
those shenanigans again with Bing. A "glitch" in Internet Explorer 6
reportedly made Bing the default search engine for IE6 users. And last
May, Windows 7 Release Candidate automatically configured IE8 as the
default browser. Force-feeding, however, is a dangerous tactic that
could result in a Bing backlash. Microsoft would be wise to tread
lightly there.

Bribery is another option. Microsoft recently launched a Cashback
promotion that doubled the monetary rewards for users who click a
sponsored link on a Bing search results page and then make a purchase. A
nice perk, sure, but cashback deals don't always draw big crowds. If
they did, the Discover Card, with its 5 percent cashback bonus, wouldn't
be an also-ran behind Visa and MasterCard.

Which leads us back to inertia. Why should we switch from Google to
Bing? I'm not sure. Perhaps Microsoft will have to amaze us.