The Food Issue
The Calorie-Restriction Experiment

By JON GERTNER
The New York Times
October 11, 2009

AS AMERICANS become fatter and fatter - a study published in July
revealed that obesity rates increased in 23 states last year and
declined in none - a select group of men and women under the watchful
care of medical professionals have spent the past few years becoming
thinner and thinner. There are 132 of them, located in and around
Boston, St. Louis and Baton Rouge, La. All are enrolled in a large
clinical trial that is financed by the National Institutes of Health
and known as Calerie, which stands for Comprehensive Assessment of
Long-Term Effects of Reducing Intake of Energy. A few years ago,
researchers at Washington University in St. Louis, Tufts in Boston
and the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge began
recruiting subjects to examine what happens to people who reduce
their daily calories by 25 percent for two years. Admissions are
rolling, so not all recruits begin and end at the same time. A few of
the early participants, in fact, have just completed their two-year
stint. The final recruits began their regimens last month.

In late summer, in St. Louis and Boston, I met with nearly two dozen
subjects in the study. At the Washington University medical complex,
Doug Hansen was reclining on his hospital bed one afternoon when I
walked in to say hello. Hansen, who is 45 and had been in the Calerie
study for six months, seemed the picture of good health: tan, tall,
friendly, energetic. Maybe a little thin. "Let me pull up some
chairs," he said, and he jumped out of bed. He was dressed in jeans
that struck me as noticeably baggy. His T-shirt hung loosely on his
frame. After checking in 24 hours earlier, Hansen told me, he went
through a battery of tests, which were required of participants at
the half-year mark. Some of these were cognitive: interviews and
questionnaires, administered by a behavioral researcher, that
evaluated his memory and perceptions. Others were mildly invasive.
His blood was drawn repeatedly, and his bone-mineral density was
measured by scanning equipment that utilized low-levels of radiation.
Early that morning, his resting-metabolic rate was calculated by
medical technicians who asked him to remain motionless on his bed for
45 minutes as they put a ventilated plastic tent over his head and
measured his respiratory output. Also that morning, Hansen swallowed
a pink capsule that was slowly passing through his digestive tract.
As we spoke, the pill was measuring his core internal temperature and
transmitting the information via radio signal to a small, boxlike
receiver strapped to his belt. "I've got to wear it until 5 p.m.," he
said. Then he shrugged. "It's really not a big deal."

At the start, the recruits taking part in what is called calorie
restriction were told they would likely see their weight decrease by
around 15 percent during the first year. (A smaller number of
recruits were put in a control group and instructed to continue their
normal eating habits for two years.) After their weight drop, they
would plateau at a "weight stability" level. This was Hansen's
experience, as well as that of most of the Calerie subjects I met.
After six months in the study, Hansen told me, he dropped to 168
pounds from 198, or near his plateau.

A curious aspect of the Calerie project, though, is that it is not
meant to study weight loss or if one type of diet is better than
another. Instead, Calerie is investigating how (and if) a spartan
diet affects the aging process and its associated diseases. To the
Calerie researchers, these are quite distinct. The aging process,
which researchers sometimes call "primary" or "intrinsic" aging,
refers to the damage that ordinarily accumulates in our cells as we
grow older, a natural condition that seems to have limited the
maximal lifespan of humans to 120 years. Diseases that accompany the
aging process - often called "secondary aging" - are those
afflictions increasingly prevalent in the elderly, like cancer,
diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

There seems little doubt that calorie restriction can have
significant effects on secondary aging. A recent spate of papers in
some of the world's leading medical journals demonstrate that in
small studies, human subjects following such diets experience
astounding drops in cardiovascular risk factors; a forthcoming review
on cancer risks in animals with such diets, moreover, suggests a
stark correlation - fewer calories mean fewer tumors. This explains
why the stakes for Calerie are high. Essentially, the study asks
whether calorie restriction allows people to grow older in better
health - with less disease, fewer drugs and shorter hospital stays -
through a method that neither medicine nor scientific technology have
yet come close to approximating. Meanwhile, the experiment aims to
shed some light on the more complex and still-unsettled question of
whether calorie restriction affects primary aging, and thus
longevity, in humans. Going back more than a half century to an
experiment at Cornell University in the mid-1930s, calorie
restriction has been shown again and again to extend the lives of
mice, rats and other animals. An ongoing experiment at the University
of Wisconsin on rhesus monkeys, which began in 1989, portends similar
results: compared with normal-weight primates on a regular calorie
regimen, the monkeys on restricted diets are healthier and more
vigorous and seem destined (at least at the moment) for a longer life.

A clinical trial that follows human subjects through their entire
lives, much as the primate study in Wisconsin does, would be
impossible. For one thing, it would be ethically problematic to
restrict calories in children (though with animals, the earlier that
calorie restriction begins, the longer they live). For another, we
already live a long time now, thanks to advances in medicine, surgery
and public health, so "if you wanted to do longitudinal studies in
humans, it would take 125 years," Eric Ravussin, who leads the team
doing the Calerie experiment at Pennington in Baton Rouge, told me.
Thus the researchers in the two-year study are instead looking at
changes in what they call biomarkers. A decline in Doug Hansen's core
internal temperature, for instance, would suggest a slowdown in his
primary aging process (data from a respected study on aging shows
individuals with lower temperatures generally live longer). Other
characteristics related to secondary aging are just as important. As
Hansen curtails his calories for the next 18 months, doctors and
medical technicians will measure, among other variables,
inflammation, insulin levels and blood pressure. Reductions in any of
these things would indicate a lessened vulnerability to heart disease
and diabetes.

Another problem humans present is their susceptibility to temptation.
Primates and mice are kept in cages and eat what they are fed; none
have ever had to choose to forswear a spring roll or a cupcake. The
medical literature on calorie restriction sometimes cites an
experiment conducted in Minnesota in the 1940s to study the effects
of starvation, especially with the war-torn populations of Europe in
mind. The men - all lean to begin with, all volunteers (they were
conscientious objectors to World War II) - were subjected to about a
40 percent decrease in caloric consumption. The state of near
starvation led a few of the subjects to the threshold of insanity.
They became irritable and depressed; some began to lie and cheat; at
least one engaged in acts of self-mutilation. Some of the potential
insights of the Calerie study, therefore, are psychological as much
as physiological. If ordinary Americans want to cut their energy
intake by a more modest 25 percent - whether to slow down the aging
process or seek a pharmaceutical-free way to reduce the risks of,
say, cardiovascular disease - can they actually do it? The
feasibility of long-term food reduction has never been adequately
investigated. "Here there are really three things we want to know,"
Susan Roberts, a professor of nutrition and psychiatry who is in
charge of the Calerie team at Tufts, told me. "The first is, can we
really implement human caloric restriction? The second is, can we
really implement it in a way that doesn't neglect the biology? People
can't walk around hungry, so is hunger a necessary part of the
biology of calorie restriction? The third is, are there unacceptable
side effects that you wouldn't pick up in animals that you would pick
up in humans?" Roberts went on to say: "And if we found that caloric
restriction was healthy and everyone can do it? The goal of the trial
is to see if this is ready for prime time."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/magazine/11Calories-t.html