http://latimes.com/news/local/la-et-onthemedia9-2009oct09,0,2366273.column

KCOP-TV: This is news?
The merging of KCOP-TV and KTTV-TV has left the former not even a shell
of its previous self, unless beefcake and dancing anchors count. The
losers: Angelenos who crave real, local reporting.

James Rainey
Los Angeles Times

October 9, 2009

In the television news business, they call them duopolies. How about a
more descriptive name? Zombie stations.

Turn on KCOP-TV Channel 13 for the weeknight news at 11 p.m. and you
won't see KCOP anchors. Or KCOP reporters. They aren't backed by KCOP
writers. In the last year, even the KCOP logo disappeared.

The station's news operation has been taken over -- lock, stock, news
desk and teleprompter -- by its duopoly partner, KTTV-TV Channel 11, the
local Fox television affiliate, which itself has been hobbled by mass
layoffs in recent months.

The emergence of KCOP as the first (but likely not last) of the news
undead may seem like a trivial milepost in what has been a decades-long
slide by local TV news into banality, trivia and marginalization.

But it's worth talking about the new low for a couple of reasons. First,
corporate executives promised duopolies could help save, rather than
continue to emasculate, local news. Second, a recent survey by the Pew
Center for the People & the Press found that 64% of Americans rely on
television for most of their local news.

Saying you count on TV to learn what goes on in your city is a little
like saying you go to Raiders games for lessons in civility. But I digress.

Local TV has been caught in the same revolutionary change that has done
serious damage to newspapers, magazines, record labels and moviemakers.
Accustomed to profit margins that peaked in the 1980s at 50% or more,
local TV outlets now strain to get half that, with much of their revenue
siphoned off by the Internet and, recently, the recession.

Still, 20% profits are not unusual in many local TV operations, said
Steve Ridge, president of the media strategy group at television
consultant Frank Magid & Associates. Those would be heady margins in
almost any other business. But a decade of consolidation, big borrowing
and inflated expectations has left television bosses always wanting more.

The only way owners have found to prop up big profits is to pound down
expenses. Thus the duopoly, with stations allowed to cooperate under
federal antitrust waivers.

A 2001 buyout of a rival firm gave Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. ownership
of KCOP and created its duopoly with KTTV, already part of Murdoch's Fox
television group.

Over the decade, the two stations have progressively merged their
operations. KCOP dumped its own anchors in favor of KTTV's last
December. If you watch KCOP's half hour of news, you will see KTTV
anchors Carlos Amezcua and Christine Devine. In the corner of the
screen, there's a KTTV logo.

In other words, an independent KCOP has quietly disappeared from the
local news scene, with its single 11 p.m. program merely a repackaged
version of KTTV's news at 10.

"Don't you think that's outrageous? Apparently they just don't care,"
said Pete Noyes, a legend among local TV news people for his
plain-spoken ways and the multiple award-winning stories he produced
over nearly five decades in L.A. news. "They can always find a lower way
to go."

If you had the misfortune to happen on the parade of hoochie-coochie,
sex and sizzle that KCOP once fobbed off as news, you might wonder, "Who
cares?"

But there was a time when local network affiliates, and even poor
stepchildren like KCOP, produced original news from City Hall, the state
Capitol and points beyond.

Noyes, who retired from KTTV last year, himself once pummeled the
Metropolitan Transportation Authority for the huge cost overruns that
taxpayers subsidized with a half-cent sales tax. Among his myriad other
investigations: a piece on contamination that spread to the Simi and
west San Fernando valleys from Rocketdyne's Santa Susana Field Laboratory.

Like their cousins in radio and newspapers, including the Los Angeles
Times, every local TV news operation has been cut in recent years. KTTV
took a sharp blow last month when the station cut about 100 reporters,
editors, engineers and others.

General Manager Kevin Hale told me Thursday that "our on-air product is
as good as it ever was." But several staffers, who spoke anonymously for
fear of alienating management, said news reach and morale have suffered.

"We are covering fewer stories because we have fewer crews," said one
veteran reporter. "You still have the feeling like you would like to be
crusading for the public good, but now it's just like 'What can we
manage to get done.' "

Veteran reporters with a history of digging deeper -- like Chris
Blatchford, John Schwada and Phil Shuman -- get thrown into more daily
stories and have less time for special projects.

Still, there always seems to be time for playing footsie. Late Tuesday,
I treated myself to KCOP, which spent a few minutes reporting on the
"hunky Santa" competition at a local mall, with plenty of shots of
shirtless young musclemen preening for the camera. Then weatherman Mark
Thompson danced -- yes, danced -- across the set as the day's forecast
flitted across the screen.

Apparently improvisational dance is a Fox leitmotif, since the next day
I caught Maria Quiban shimmying through part of her forecast on KTTV. In
the most cringe-inducing moment, fill-in anchor Michael Brownlee joined
in, swaying in his chair and loosening his tie as if he might shift into
full Chippendales mode.

Can anything be done to restore more substance to the market that
brought the world Warren Olney, Jess Marlow and Tom Brokaw?

In New York and Honolulu, citizen activists filed complaints with the
FCC, arguing that duopolies and cooperation agreements between stations
have starved audiences of the independent news voices TV stations should
provide in exchange for their slice of the public airwaves.

During the Clinton administration, the FCC briefly flirted with
requiring minimum levels of news coverage. But it's doubtful that the
feds, locked in epochal fights over issues such as access to broadband
and the Internet, will take up these daunting ownership issues any time
soon.

That leaves market forces to drive better news coverage. I can't help
but believe that Los Angeles would flock to a sharp newscast -- focusing
on government, culture, the environment and outdoors in one of the most
vibrant cities on Earth.

But to test my theory we'd need one news director, just one, to break
out of the same old dance.

--
George Antunes, Political Science Dept