Booking a Flight the Frugal Way

By MATT GROSS
February 16, 2010

It used to be so simple. You wanted to go to Paris, so you called a
travel agency, gave them your dates and budget, and with any luck,
you soon had in your hands a real paper ticket with a real dollar
value. Even in the early days of the Internet, it was easier. You
went to one of the few booking sites - Travelocity or Expedia, most
likely - searched for your route, paid with a credit card and that
was it. Maybe you even got a paper ticket in the mail. Those were the
days!

Today, however, booking a flight is a total mess. Travelocity and
Expedia have been joined by Bing and Orbitz and Dohop and Vayama and
CheapTickets and CheapOair and Kayak and SideStep and Mobissimo and
and and Š I could go on and list every single Web site out there, but
I won't. There are just too many. Instead, I'll lead you through the
steps I make when I'm booking a flight myself.

I've covered this territory a bit before - here and here - but today
I'll try to go into more detail. For this experiment, let's imagine a
simple domestic trip: a weekend of snowboarding in Jackson Hole in
Wyoming at the beginning of March.

My first stop is, as it's been for years now, Kayak.com. It's the
simplest airfare search engine - minimal graphics, no discount
vacation deals to confuse me, and it searches almost every other site
out there - and also the most flexible. I can not only choose a
window for my departure and arrival times but also decide where I
want (or don't want) to spend a layover, or which frequent-flier
alliance to stick with.

Kayak gives me two decent-looking options: $231 on American Airlines
(Newark to Jackson via Chicago) and $241 for Delta (via Atlanta);
taxes and fees included in both figures. I'm lucky here - I have gold
status on American, so I can avoid the checked-baggage fees for my
snowboard.

Of course, I don't stop there. Next, I'll check ITASoftware.com, a
somewhat complicated site that makes it feel as if you're a travel
agent tapping into unusual, semisecret routes. Maybe there's a faster
way to Wyoming, perhaps through Minneapolis? Not this time. For the
Jackson Hole trip, ITA finds the same American Airlines itinerary,
pricing it at $230 instead of $231. Frankly, it's a pretty normal
trip, so there are no surprises. And anyway, ITA doesn't let you book
tickets, instead directing you to other sites or travel agents.

So, I check out another site: cFares.com, which has a twist. For a
$50 annual membership, you'll get small rebates if you book through
them. Each rebate may be only $8 or $20, but if you fly several times
a year, that can add up quickly. And last spring, cFares found me a
flight from New York to Paris for $543.17, or about $200 less than
any other search engine found.

For my theoretical ski trip, cFares knocks that $241 Delta flight
down to $229 via the rebate (clicking the link sends you to Orbitz to
book), but it doesn't bring up the American flight at all.

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/click-it-and-ticket-booking-a-flight-the-frugal-way/