Attack of the light drizzle!

How weather was taken over by the hype machine

By Robert David Sullivan  |  February 21, 2010

If you live anywhere around Greater Boston, you probably felt heroic
about making it into work during what turned out to be the Storm That
Wasn't. You must remember it, some 11 days ago. With the nation's
capital socked in and New York shut down, we braced for a crippling
whiteout of our own, glued to weather reports of the approaching
snowmageddon.

Cities and towns closed their schools, airlines grounded their
planes, and the governor told "nonemergency" state workers to go home
early. And then...nothing. The storm gently dusted our streets with
snow and moved on. People felt a bit ridiculous afterward, and even
angry toward the meteorologists and city officials who got us so
worked up.

If you've started to feel that anticlimaxes have become the norm in
Boston, you're right. But it's not because something has changed
about the weather. It's that something has changed about its
packaging. Weather, especially on TV, has exited the realm of
straight news, and even of entertainment, and entered the realm of
marketing.

Increasingly, weather is being pre-sold as a kind of public drama,
one with a distinctive language and set of conventions - the
military-like music, the urgent graphics, the rhetoric of promise and
veiled threat. We've come to take all this for granted in a modern
storm forecast. The roots of this approach though, don't lie in
meteorology. They come from the hype of Hollywood and big-event
television - a business in which overselling isn't a sin, as long as
you draw an audience.

Of course, in the case of weather, even the best promotional campaign
can't actually control the product once it arrives. The images from
blizzards past and the breathless voice-overs promise lots of action,
but what we get isn't exactly a Quentin Tarantino movie, or even
Sunday afternoon on the Golf Channel. It's more like an especially
sleepy production of "The Iceman Cometh." Performed nine times in a
row.

In Boston, our fascination with bad weather has a lot to do with the
thrill of all weather thrills: the Blizzard of '78. That was the
classic New England storm story - an event whose arc really did
parallel the script of a disaster movie.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/02/21/attack_of_the_light_drizzle/