Monday, June 28, 2010
iPhone 4 Review: 2 - the Phone & FaceTime

By Daniel Eran Dilger
Published: 02:40 PM EST

Apple's fourth generation iPhone is still exclusively tied to AT&T in
the US, but now packs new 3.5G network support, enabling dramatically
faster uploads, and FaceTime, a new video calling feature that isn't
dependent upon the carrier's network quality or seamless coverage to
work.

The phone in iPhone 4

Standing in line for hours (five and a half to be exact; I did not
expect to wait more than a half hour when I arrived), I was struck by
how many people were willing to spend so much of their day waiting
for the new iPhone.

No other class of product commands such attention, and it hit me why
in line: there is nothing else we interact with on such a personal
and continuous basis all day long as our smartphones. Apple very
clearly encourages launch day lines for marketing purposes, but it
couldn't maintain such theatrics year after year if its iPhones
weren't living up to the hype. Interviews suggest more than 70% of
those waiting in launch day lines were existing iPhone users.

Of course, the primary reason we started carrying mobile phones was
to be able to make calls and be contacted. Ironically, the most
famous smartphone is also one of the worst performing phones, at
least in the US. AT&T's network, which greeted the original iPhone as
a brand new amalgamation of GSM providers in the US, started out well
behind Verizon's CDMA network in terms of 3G buildout. It is now
struggling to keep up with the massive demand of what is collectively
the world's most mobile-greedy device. That adds up to a perfect
storm of terrible waiting to greet Apple's latest and greatest phone.

Steve Jobs said on stage at WWDC that AT&T is handling more mobile
data than all the other US carriers put together. At the same time,
AT&T is also delivering the fastest national network, and the only
one compatible with the GSM/UMTS mobile technology used by most
foreign networks internationally (making roaming possible, albeit
expensive, for users, while also facilitating the manufacture of one
iPhone model for Apple). There's still major problems in some service
areas though, and AT&T's efforts to upgrade its network can't seem to
come fast enough.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/28/iphone_4_review_2_the_phonefacetime.html