The iPhone 4 Redux: Analyzing Apple's iOS 4.0.1 Signal Fix & Antenna Issue

by Brian Klug & Anand Lal Shimpi on 7/15/2010 12:28:00 PM

In case you haven't noticed, the iPhone 4's antenna design has come
under considerable scrutiny. In our iPhone 4 review, we investigated
the iPhone 4 antenna and came to two conclusions. First, that iOS 4
was displaying signal bars in an overly optimistic manner,
compressing the dynamic range of possible signal bars users can see.
Second, we identified a worst case signal drop of around 24 dBm when
the iPhone 4 is cupped tightly in the left hand, covering the black
strip and possibly detuning the antennas and adding additional
attenuation from the presence of the hand.

Since those initial measurements, we've been working tirelessly to
both characterize the problem, fully understand the mechanisms behind
it, and report on a number of possible solutions.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3821/iphone-4-redux-analyzing-apples-ios-41-signal-fix