Is Twitter a national mood ring?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/08/03/mislove.twitter.research/index.htm
l?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- How are fads started and spread? Do certain influential people
play a key role, or is it truly random? How does a trend go from new and
exciting to old and passe so quickly? Does having happy friends have an
effect on our own happiness?

Maybe Twitter can tell us.

Every second, millions of people across the world are sharing their
thoughts in the form of 140-character messages using Twitter. The
"tweets" range from the mundane to the profound, and convey, for
example, what people are doing, thinking and reading at any moment.

The amount of information in any individual tweet is highly variable,
but in aggregate the more than 65 million tweets composed per day
represent a detailed, real-time trace of the collective thoughts and
feelings of a significant fraction of the population -- potentially
offering valuable information to everyone from politicians to
advertisers to social researchers.

To demonstrate the unique power of Twitter data, our research group at
Northeastern University and Harvard Medical School recently began a
study to infer the mood of Twitter users in the United States from their
public tweets.

We can observe very distinct patterns over the course of the day, as
well as weekly patterns that match conventional wisdom, such as the
tendency of users to write happier tweets on weekends.

We also observe geographic variations, with users from Hawaii,
California, and Florida, for example, using happier words in their
tweets.

With Twitter, we now not only know which users are communicating, but we
also know what they are saying. From a research perspective, Twitter is
more than just a new tool; it's an entirely new kind of tool. Never
before have academic researchers had access to this much real-time
public information about what people are thinking and saying.

It is analogous to being allowed to tap into millions of water-cooler
conversations, school rooms and other public conversations across the
globe.

Our study is preliminary; we need more data to do a proper evaluation,
and the results are subject to any number of biases (people using
language differently across the United States, and different
demographics using Twitter at different times). Our approach simply
looks, for example, for occurrences of "happy" or "unhappy" words in
tweets. However, because we take words out of context, our approach will
not correctly interpret tweets like "I am not happy".

Even so, initial results demonstrate that Twitter data contain a wealth
of information, and that even relatively simplistic approaches such as
ours can extract interesting results.

In fact, other research groups have also begun to examine Twitter data
and have demonstrated that it can be used to predict the box-office
success of an upcoming movie. And Twitter data yields much more detailed
polling when compared to traditional methods, enabling real-time
feedback for issues that are of local, national or international
interest.

In the past, researchers studying traces of human communication, such as
phone records, have shown that the social network that connects us has
rich hidden complexity. But legal and privacy concerns have caused these
previous studies to almost universally omit the content of the
communication. Because most users leave their tweets public, Twitter
represents an unprecedented opportunity.

This is why researchers owe a debt of gratitude to Twitter for its
policy of open access to public tweets (exemplified by the recent
donation of its entire public tweet history to the Library of Congress).

Like any scientific tool, the ability to use the data for research is
subject to caveats and limitations. Unlike many existing tools, such as
surveys and polls, researchers cannot ask a question of the Twitter
users directly; instead, researchers must determine whether the question
is one that the Twitter data can answer.

Should we determine how to extract information reliably, which we're
working on, the potential applications of the data are almost endless.
For example, monitoring the mood of the public chatter on Twitter could
allow businesses to quickly identify and respond to incidents,
mitigating the effect of negative publicity on their brand. The data
could be used to inform public policy, allowing public officials and
politicians to receive feedback from their constituents in real time.

>From a scientific standpoint, Twitter data can shed light on how
information spreads through society. Researchers can also investigate
network effects: How does what our friends discuss influence what we
discuss?

In short, the data that is now becoming available from Twitter and
related websites offers a new lens through which we can view society. It
promises new approaches to understanding social phenomena, what some
colleagues have dubbed "computational social science."

This new kind of data presents new challenges, such as privacy,
anonymity and legality, but developing a science around it has the
potential to do enormous good.