FarmVillains
Steal someone else's game. Change its name. Make millions. Repeat.

http://www.sfweekly.com/2010-09-08/news/farmvillains/

One of the Internet's greatest success stories in 2010 can be found in a former
potato chip factory on Vermont Street in Potrero Hill. This is the original
office of Zynga, the S.F.-based creator of online "social" games - FarmVille, a
simple application in which participants plant and harvest crops, is the
company's best-known product - that in three years has gone from scrappy
startup to the toast of Silicon Valley.

Since launching its first Internet game in 2007, Zynga has grown rapidly. The
company's true earnings are unknown to outsiders, but industry observers
estimate that its annual revenue could now be $500 million or more. In May,
social-media analyst Lou Kerner estimated Zynga's total price tag at $4
billion, based on corporate filings for a stock issuance.

In light of Zynga's phenomenal rise, one former senior employee recalls
arriving at the company eager to discover what new business practices were
driving its success in a market where other popular Web 2.0 ventures struggled
to make money. What was Zynga's secret? Not long after starting work, he got an
answer. It came directly from Zynga founder and CEO Mark Pincus at a meeting.
And it wasn't what he expected.

"I don't fucking want innovation," the ex-employee recalls Pincus saying.
"You're not smarter than your competitor. Just copy what they do and do it
until you get their numbers."

The former employee, who requested anonymity in order to speak candidly about
his experience at Zynga, said this wasn't just bluster. Indeed, interviews
conducted by SF Weekly with several former Zynga workers indicate that the
practice of stealing other companies' game ideas - and then using Zynga's
market clout to crowd out the games' originators - was business as usual.

Criticisms and speculation about Zynga's theft of ideas have been aired before,
chiefly in tech-industry blogs that have remarked on apparent design
similarities between Zynga's smash hits - including FarmVille, FishVille,
PetVille, Café World, and Mafia Wars - and predecessors published by other
companies. But company insiders have never discussed the frankness with which
Zynga, led by Pincus, based its lucrative business model on exploiting the
achievements of competitors.

None allege that Zynga knowingly broke laws. Although the company has been sued
for copyright infringement, stealing concepts for games is not in itself
illegal. Specific game mechanics and design elements must be copied extensively
before intellectual-property protections kick in.

Former employees nevertheless describe a corporate ethos based in a predatory
attitude toward rival companies and gamers. Unlike innovative and socially
useful business enterprises such as Twitter or Google, Zynga sought to cash in
quickly by repackaging, and then furiously peddling, the ideas of others.

As the former senior employee who listened to Pincus rant against innovation
recalls, workers at Zynga were fond of joking (albeit half-seriously) that
their firm's unofficial motto was an inversion of Google's famous "Don't Be
Evil."

"Zynga's motto is 'Do Evil,'" he says. "I would venture to say it is one of the
most evil places I've run into, from a culture perspective and in its business
approach. I've tried my best to make sure that friends don't let friends work
at Zynga."

The derivative nature of Zynga's high-grossing games isn't just an ethical
liability. While the company has recently enjoyed a spate of bullish mainstream
media coverage, some industry experts say that its star could soon be on the
wane. The audience for its signature application, FarmVille, has collapsed by
26 percent from its high of 84 million monthly users. As a new generation of
social gamers demands more sophistication in online entertainment, some
observers - including at least one of Zynga's founders - question whether the
company can adapt.

"You can't make the cheap little viral games like you used to," says Tom
Bollich, an early Zynga investor and former lead engineer who owned more than
400,000 shares of the company in 2008, and who has now divested completely.
"These games, it's like pouring water into a bucket with holes in it. You can
get a lot of people, but they don't stick around."

Officials at Zynga declined to be interviewed on the record for this story,
although Dani Dudeck, the firm's general manager of corporate communications,
provided contact information for several investors and former colleagues of
Pincus'.

Michelle Kim, a public-relations official with Brew Media Relations, which
helps handle Zynga's press inquiries, said the company is loathe to cooperate
with stories, absent guarantees of mostly positive coverage.

"Unless they know everything about the article, and that there's not going to
be anything negative in it, they're probably not going to give anyone up" for
an interview, she told SF Weekly. "It's really hard to get them to say yes to
press these days."

At a time when traditional "console" videogames - the kind bought in a store
and played on a computer or entertainment system such as a Sony PlayStation -
aspire to be classified as works of art, it might seem odd that such
confections as FarmVille enjoy widespread attention and financial success. In
2007, for example, publisher 2K Games released a spellbinding console game,
Bioshock, in which players make difficult ethical decisions in an underwater
city-state founded on the libertarian ideals of Ayn Rand.

Next to such immersing products, Zynga's games look cretinous. Gameplay in
FarmVille, FishVille, or Café World is based almost exclusively on what
social-game designers call a "compulsion loop." Players perform basic tasks -
clicking on crops to harvest them, clicking on stoves in restaurants, clicking
on fish to feed them - earn fake money, enhance their farm or restaurant or
aquarium, and repeat. In Zynga's hands, the art of snaring users with such
gimmickry has become, quite literally, a science: Pincus told Time magazine
last year that Zynga employs a behavioral psychologist.

As players advance, they are often given chances to act as unpaid advertising
agents. The games repeatedly prompt users to post messages about their progress
on Facebook, where friends are deluged with unwanted gifts or requests for
neighborly "help." Oddly enough, these "social" games have no real social
aspects beyond asking friends for virtual goods or spamming them with images of
fish and eggplants.

The ham-handed marketing tactics and lack of artistry on display in Zynga's
games have made the company a target for criticism from longtime game fans and
designers. "We've never before seen this kind of deliberate unconcern for the
aesthetics of the experience," says Ian Bogost, a professor at the Georgia
Institute of Technology and founding partner of Persuasive Games. He says
Zynga's market-driven approach to the development of simple but addictive
applications is "like strip-mining. They don't really care about the longevity
of the form or the experience. ... That sort of attitude is the sort of thing
you usually hear about from oil companies or pharmaceuticals. You don't really
hear about it in arts and entertainment."

Others are impatient with the old guard's complaints. Despite their lack of
sophistication, social games like FarmVille have attracted entirely new
demographic sets of players, such as older women. "A lot of these users don't
even consider themselves gamers," says Jason Oberfest, vice president of
applications at the San Francisco-based iPhone game developer Ngmoco. "Older
people consider these games as an alternate means of even e-mail." He says the
pat dismissal of social games as simplistic reveals "an elitist point of view."
Pincus likewise defended the new genre of social applications in his Time
interview, summing up the difference between console games and Zynga games:
"They're making movies. What we're doing is more like weekly TV programming."

It's tough to argue with success. Zynga's Facebook applications now boast an
average of 233 million monthly users, making it far and away the social
network's most popular gaming company, according to the application-tracking
site AppData. The second-place developer, Electronic Arts, had 55 million
average monthly users.

Zynga also has that rarest of commodities in the hothouse of Silicon Valley
startups: a proven business model. Cash infusions from the small but dedicated
subset of players who purchase virtual goods with real money comprise the bulk
of its revenues. These players, known as "whales" for the large sums they toss
away online, pony up $20 or more per month.

An investors' brief compiled for financial-research sites Track.com and Second
Shares estimated Zynga's revenues would be nearly $530 million this year, up
from $300 million in 2009. (The company is privately held, so its true income
and worth are unknown.)

"It's nothing short of remarkable," says Paul Martino, an early investor in
Zynga who cofounded the failed social-networking site Tribe.net with Pincus.
"Zero to $500 million, $600 million a year. I mean, how many companies have
done that in human history?"

Many successful companies have their original sins - corners cut, bridges
burned, allies trampled. In Zynga's case, former employees say, its towering
commercial edifice was built on a particularly shaky ethical foundation:
copying the products of competitors. And while in the games industry, as in the
fashion industry, some degree of design similarity is expected, Zynga has
earned itself a reputation as a particularly rapacious predator of ideas.

In June 2009, Zynga came out with the app that would make it a household name
among social-network users. While the company had already enjoyed some success
with its earlier offerings, FarmVille was a blockbuster hit. But for those with
eyes to see, it bore remarkable similarities to a precursor.

That precursor, Farm Town, was developed by a little-known Florida company
called Slashkey. It featured a number of clever gameplay mechanics, chief among
them real-time crop growth that requires players to regularly return to the
game to tend their farms. Zynga's version, launched months after Slashkey's,
would likely be indistinguishable to most players.

In both games, tiny avatars with big heads plant square plots of soil with
different crops, harvest them to earn virtual coins after a time, and acquire
Facebook friends as "neighbors" to help out on the farm and exchange goods. The
mechanics of the games - down to screen commands and layout - are more or less
identical.

Officials at Slashkey did not respond to requests for comment. But some
familiar with the games are incredulous that Zynga didn't get sued over
FarmVille, so strong was its resemblance to Farm Town.

"I'm surprised there hasn't been litigation," says Robert Taylor, a Palo
Alto-based intellectual-property lawyer. "Because from what I've seen, they did
copy it."

Zynga did get sued for copyright infringement for one of its earlier hits,
Mafia Wars, which debuted on Facebook in June 2008. (Its first success, Zynga
Poker, was an obvious but legal rebranding of Texas Hold 'Em, which Zynga
licensed.) In February 2009, application developer David Maestri - represented
by Taylor - sued Zynga, alleging that the company had illegally "cloned" his
earlier gangster game, Mob Wars. Maestri's LLC, Psycho Monkey, had created Mob
Wars in December 2007; the lawsuit alleged that Zynga copied the game after
negotiations to buy out Maestri broke down.

The resemblance between Mob Wars and Mafia Wars is striking. Many of the games'
elements, characters, and place names - "The Godfather," "The Hospital," "The
Bank," and so on - were identical, as were specific amounts of money and
experience points attached to crime "jobs" players performed or "properties"
they owned. These similarities were no coincidence, according to an early Zynga
employee, who said he was present for frank discussions about the potential
consequences of copying and rebranding Mob Wars.

"I was around meetings where things like that were being discussed, and the
ramifications of things like that were being discussed - the fact that they'd
probably be sued by the people who designed the game," he says. "And the
thought was, 'Well, that's fine, we'll settle.' Our case wasn't really
defensible." Psycho Monkey's suit was ultimately settled for an undisclosed
amount.

Former insiders say that theft of other people's ideas can be traced to Zynga's
origins. The company's first efforts to establish an online presence began with
a close study of board games, according to the early employee who was present
for discussions of copying Mob Wars. These games littered Zynga's offices,
where the staff studied them and thought about how they could be adapted as
online applications. "All the popular board games were purchased with the
intent of copying them," he says. "This was in the early days. That evolved
into [copying] digital games."

One former game designer said that Zynga interns were instructed to do "recon"
on competitors' games, isolating successful features that their higher-ups
would then endeavor to replicate. "They would sit and look at competitive
products and write down all the features and make it obvious to us," the
designer says. One contractor says he was offered freelance work from Zynga,
related to mimicking a competitor's application, with explicit instructions:
"Copy that game."

The former senior employee who was present for Pincus' "No innovation" diatribe
described Zynga's business model this way: "Steal somebody else's game, throw
millions of dollars at it, and then, if it doesn't have it already, add virtual
coins."

Bollich, the former Zynga employee, demurs when asked whether Zynga
deliberately copied competitors. "Well, I mean, that's actually - a little
bit," he sighs. "I'm sure at some point we looked at Mob Wars and took some of
his ideas. As for just out-and-out copying, that tended to not actually happen."

Most former Zynga workers who spoke with SF Weekly about the company's approach
to copying competitors' games did so on the condition that their names not be
published, citing fears of retribution from the company. In 2009 alone, Zynga
filed lawsuits against seven former employees.

Zynga sued a group of former employees who went to work for rival Playdom, for
instance, claiming they imparted trade secrets to their new employer. Ex-Zynga
workers who started their own iPhone app development company also found
themselves targets for Pincus' lawyers, who asserted their new game concepts
violated a noncompetition agreement. This trigger-happy approach to IP
litigation is particularly galling, former employees say, given Zynga's own
penchant for stealing concepts.

Any discussion of intellectual property in the video-games industry has to
acknowledge that some level of copying among competitors is normal. Copyright
law is loose when it comes to games of all kinds. The idea for a certain type
of game, for example, cannot be patented, though design and brand elements can.
Successful formulas inevitably spawn imitations.

Hence the dizzying number of similar games among the "Big Three" app developers
on Facebook: Zynga, Electronic Arts (which in November acquired the social-game
company Playfish for roughly $400 million), and Playdom (acquired by Disney in
July for about $760 million). Zynga has Café World; EA has Restaurant City.
Zynga has FarmVille; Playdom has (Lil) Farm Life. Playdom was also sued by
Psycho Monkey, at the same time as Zynga, over its own mob-themed game, called
Mobsters.

In fairness, the lineage and origin of games can also be more complicated than
they first appear. The genesis of the Mafia Wars dispute, according to former
Zynga employee Bollich, came after Maestri - who was wrapping up acquisition
talks with Zynga - attended a lecture put on by the company on how to more
successfully monetize games. "The deal was almost completely done," Bollich
recalls. "Dave was there, learned everything, cancelled the deal, and then put
all our suggestions in his game the next week, and started making money."

Even in this sharp-elbowed crowd, however, Zynga stands out. "The more
aggressive you are, the more you're inclined to think you can copy just about
anything," Taylor says. "I think Zynga's pretty aggressive. I don't think
there's much question that they're probably the most aggressive." In January,
The Business Insider, a business and tech blog, ran a slideshow comparing six
of Zynga's hits to near-identical precursors from other developers.

"As it has grown in dominance in the game industry, Zynga has garnered a
reputation for its predatory business and suspect marketing tactics," asserted
a lawsuit filed in August against the company by rival developer Digital
Chocolate over the trademark to the "Mafia Wars" name. (The suit claimed that
Zynga was falsely trying to assert ownership of the name - the same as a 2004
title from Digital Chocolate - but did not allege that game-design elements had
been copied.)

>From a business standpoint, copying rivals' games makes some sense. With its
>marketing resources, brand recognition, and economies of scale, Zynga can
>quickly garner millions of additional users for apps that might have failed to
>go viral when managed by smaller shops. FarmVille currently has about 62
>million users, according to AppData.com, while Farm Town, its virtual clone,
>has only 5 million. The revenue generated by this audience dwarfs the cash
>required to defray lawyers' fees and a settlement payment, even one that runs
>to millions of dollars.

Given Zynga's emphasis on user volume and revenue over product quality, efforts
by its designers to create deeper, more artistic, or more original games were
not always welcomed. A former high-level employee tells the story of Burning
Realms, a sword-and-sorcery role-playing game that a group of Zynga designers
"killed themselves to put together," only to have it placed on the back burner
by Pincus, who was wary of a product outside the tried-and-true molds of apps
like FarmVille, Mafia Wars, and Zynga Poker.

"It was just beautiful. It was innovation," the former employee says. "And it
was like, his money is not going to go to innovating. For people who were
creative and actually wanted to make something, it was really depressing."

One of the more common complaints among former Zynga employees is about Pincus'
distaste for original game design and indifference to his company's products,
beyond their ability to make money. "The biggest problem I had with him was
that he didn't know or care about the games being good - the bottom line was
the only concern," a former game designer says. "While I am all for games
making money, I like to think there's some quality there."

Zynga's controversial CEO is a veteran of the first dot-com boom, having
founded and sold his first company, Freeloader, for $38 million in 1995. (Other
companies he created include SupportSoft and Tribe.net.) Pincus is alternately
despised and admired by industry observers and his colleagues, but most people
agree he is inseparable from the aggressive corporate culture that has driven
Zynga - named after Pincus' late bulldog - to the top.

Critical tech bloggers had a field day with a talk Pincus gave to aspiring
entrepreneurs at a UC Berkeley event last March, during which he claimed he
"did every horrible thing in the book just to get revenues right away" when
Zynga was founded. Yet in May, he was the subject of an admiring profile in
Details magazine, which portrayed him as a plainspoken capitalist beset with
sour-grapes complaints.

Pierre Wolff, who was Pincus' vice president of business development at
Tribe.net, says, "Sometimes people don't understand the responsibilities that
CEOs have, so sometimes they'll take that as, 'Why is he being such an
asshole?'" Wolff did allow that Pincus sometimes uses language devoid of
"soothing qualities," and could be challenging to work for, depending on how
you adapted to his management style. "He's moving at 100 miles per hour. You've
either got to get on the bus, or you're not on the bus," he says. "Most people
have a buffer. ... Mark's not like that. He thinks it, and he says it."

Pincus' leadership was a subject of some concern among Zynga's early investors,
according to a confidential memo obtained by SF Weekly. The document, produced
by renowned Silicon Valley venture capitalist Bing Gordon for the investment
group Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, recommended that the firm invest
heavily in Zynga.

It also warned, "Mark needs strong lieutenants to keep him from micromanaging."

The memo suggested that Gordon himself and at least one other top-level
executive play strong roles in the company to offset Pincus: "Bing to temper
Mark, and bring onboard a billion-dollar game industry COO when Zynga gets to
about $100M."

While Zynga has long since surpassed $100 million in revenue, it's worth noting
that the company has added a few heavy hitters to its management team this
year, including former Electronic Arts executive Steve Chiang, now Zynga's
president of studios, and Dave Wehner, the former Allen & Company director who
in July was hired as Zynga's chief financial officer.

Wehner's arrival, in particular, was interpreted as a sign that Zynga is
preparing for an initial public offering in the near future.

But as the company gears up for an anticipated IPO, some question whether its
best days have already come and gone - whether the business model pioneered by
Pincus can sustain itself over time.

At present, Zynga's fate is largely tied to that of Facebook. (This was a
concern cited in the Kleiner Perkins memo, which noted that Zynga's revenues
are "overly concentrated on Facebook.") But the social-networking site has
recently taken steps to tamp down the marketing ploys that helped drive Zynga's
rise. Players are now restricted in how much they can spam those in their
social networks with advertising messages, for example.

Perhaps more significantly, Zynga's massive audience is showing signs of
fatigue with the inane forms of entertainment that have earned the company so
much money. FarmVille's 62 million monthly users represent a significant drop
from the application's peak of popularity. FishVille now has about 9 million
monthly users, down from a high of 26 million.

A consensus has formed among industry observers that Zynga needs to be on the
lookout for its next blockbuster. "Zynga is now a studio, and it should be
looked at in terms of its financial future as a studio," Martino says. "And if
a studio can't produce hits, it will eventually suffer impairment to its
financial situation."

One of those preparing for a future in which Zynga's brand of simplistic
entertainment no longer holds sway is Alex St. John, president and chief
technology officer at Hi5 Games, a website trying to establish itself as a
hosting platform for more sophisticated social games. He predicts that "a
second generation of games" will overtake the wildly popular suite of
mafia-style and "Ville" applications that have so far dominated the web.
"FarmVille's audience has collapsed," he says. "There's a perception that Zynga
has a very large audience. Zynga itself is completely dependent on Facebook -
for its audience, for its monetization. Nobody wants to play the games outside."

According to St. John, the new generation of social games will have more depth.
Such apps could prove better able to hold users' attention over time, and their
complexity would serve as a safeguard against the kind of profitable
copycat-ism perfected by Zynga. "The only way to make games that are highly
defensible" from copyright infringement and user boredom, he says, "is to make
the gameplay richer and more sophisticated, or the business model richer and
more sophisticated."

It may be that Zynga is starting to figure this out. The company's latest
release, FrontierVille, is basically FarmVille moved to a Davy Crockett-style
American outback. But it does feature a wider range of gameplay options - from
simple missions, such as bringing a wife out West, to activities like
clobbering snakes and scaring off bears - that distinguish it from the
mind-numbing repetition that characterizes FarmVille.

"With FrontierVille, they're bringing something new," says Joel Auge, owner of
Canadian game developer HitGrab Labs. "I think it's their first foray into
creating something original on the platform."

One former Zynga game designer, speaking on condition of anonymity, says he has
kept in touch with former colleagues who say the company has hired high-caliber
designers and adopted a new emphasis on original content and more sophisticated
applications to draw in, and keep, users.

"They've brought in people who know games, which is why FrontierVille is a much
better game than what they've generally put out in the past," he says. "They've
moved somewhat away from the startup model and seem to have much better
structure, from what I've heard from people still there. Of course, the real
question is whether they can actually get the company value up to the point it
needs post-IPO. Pincus will undoubtedly make his money and take off, as he has
before, and the company's bubble will burst." Zynga's roughly $600 million in
venture-capital funding, he adds, is "a lot of investment to show value for."

Zynga has pivoted before. Its three successive hits - Zynga Poker, Mafia Wars,
and FarmVille, with their various spinoffs - each involve essentially different
styles of gameplay. But none of those styles originated at Zynga. FrontierVille
might be a step in the right direction, but it's a small step. The game is
still a variation on a well-worn theme, and to date has attracted 37 million
monthly users - about 40 percent of the audience FarmVille enjoyed at its
height of popularity. To continue dominating the social-gaming gold mine, Zynga
might soon be forced to do something it has avoided in its short and celebrated
history: innovate.