Four Channel 5 staffers treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, workers
fuming

Richard Huff
NY DAILY NEWS

Friday, September 17th 2010, 12:03 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/09/17/2010-09-17_after_monoxide_poisoning_some_at_ch_5_are_fuming.html

Staffers at Fox TV WNYW/Ch. 5 are upset about a life-threatening problem
with the station's remote trucks that has sent four on-air reporters and
a handful of off-air staff to the hospital.

Reporters Lisa Evers, Andrea Day, Nicole Johnson and Ti-Hua Chang all
were treated in recent weeks for carbon-monoxide poisoning after working
in the station's remote trucks for long periods of time.

"This is a serious situation," said an insider who requested anonymity.
"There have been repeated incidents."

For example, sources said Evers became disoriented while on an
assignment. After being seen by a doctor, Evers was told that if she had
waited longer for treatment, she might have died.

Ch. 5 crew members Sean McKenna, Chris Portente, Jerry Luke and Ralph
Franco also have been treated for effects of carbon monoxide, which is
an odorless, colorless gas emitted by engines or gas-fired equipment
exhausts.

Mild exposure can lead to headaches and flulike symptoms. Severe cases
can lead to death.

TV trucks at Ch. 5 and elsewhere rely on gas-fueled generators to power
equipment while a truck is parked. The word at Ch. 5 is that the
problems started in one truck, which was immediately removed from
service for repairs.

After that incident, other trucks checked out with no problems. However,
two trucks later developed carbon-monoxide issues, sending more people
to the hospital.

New exhaust equipment is being installed on the generators, and new
carbon-monoxide detectors are being put in every truck.

Staffers have been advised to seek medical attention if they have any
symptoms of carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Sources say even the union has gotten involved.

"The safety of our employees is our first priority," Ch. 5 president and
general manager Lew Leone said. "We are working as quickly as possible
to resolve this situation."

Read more:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/09/17/2010-09-17_after_monoxide_poisoning_some_at_ch_5_are_fuming.html#ixzz0zoBY7wtB