Being Glenn Beck

By MARK LEIBOVICH
September 29, 2010

Glenn Beck was sprawled out on his office couch a couple of weeks
ago, taking - as self-helpers like to say - an inventory. "I think
what the country is going through right now is, in a way, what I went
through with my alcoholism," he told me. "You can either live or die.
You have a choice." Beck, who is 46, was in the Midtown Manhattan
offices of his production company, Mercury Radio Arts, which is named
for Mercury Theater, the company created by Orson Welles. He had just
finished his three-hour syndicated radio show and was a few hours
away from his television show. It was a Wednesday afternoon in the
middle of September, and Beck had just returned from a week's
vacation in the Grand Tetons followed by a quick hop to Anchorage,
where he and Sarah Palin appeared at an event on Sept. 11.

Beck has a square, boyish face, an alternately plagued and
twinkle-eyed demeanor that conjures (when Beck is wearing glasses)
the comedian Drew Carey. He is 6-foot-2, which is slightly jarring
when you first meet him, because he is all head and doughiness on
television; I never thought of Beck as big or small, just as someone
who was suddenly ubiquitous and who talked a lot and said some really
astonishing things, to a point where it made you wonder - constantly
- whether he was being serious.

At some point in the past few months, Beck ceased being just the guy
who cries a lot on Fox News or a "rodeo clown" (as he has described
himself) or simply a voice of the ultraconservative opposition to
President Obama. In record time, Beck has traveled the loop of
curiosity to ratings bonanza to self-parody to sage. It is remarkable
to think he has been on Fox News only since January 2009.

In person, Beck is sheepish and approachable, betraying none of the
grandiosity or bluster you might expect from a man who predicted "the
next Great Awakening" to a few hundred thousand people in late August
at the Lincoln Memorial or who declared last year that the president
has a "deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture." He
wore a blue dress shirt tucked into jeans and brown loafers, which he
kicked off as soon as he sat down. He showed little interest in the
results from primary elections held the day before - upsets in
Delaware and New York for Tea Party candidates whose followers often
invoke Beck and Palin as spiritual leaders and even promote them as a
prospective presidential ticket in 2012.

"Not involved with the Tea Party," Beck told me, shrugging. While
many identify Beck with a political insurgency - as Rush Limbaugh was
identified with the Republican sweep of 1994 - to believe that the
nation suffers from "a political problem" comically understates
things, in his view. "I stand with the Tea Party as long as they
stand for certain principles and values," Beck told me. He is a
principles-and-values guy.

Beck talks like someone who is accustomed to thinking out loud and
inflicting his revelations in real time. He speaks in the language of
therapy, in which he has been steeped through years of 12-step
programs and the Mormon-affiliated addiction-treatment center he and
his wife run in the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut region. As
he lay on his office couch, he recalled a very low moment. It was
back in the mid-1990s. He was newly divorced, lying on the olive
green shag carpet of a two-bedroom apartment in Hamden, Conn., that
smelled like soup. It had a tiny kitchen, and his young children
slept in a bed together when they visited on weekends. "It was the
kind of place where loser guys who just got divorced wind up," Beck
said. "You'd see a new guy come in, you'd say hello and he'd walk in
alone, and you'd be like, 'Yeah, I understand, brother.' "

Beck understands, brother. Communists in the White House are bent on
"fundamentally transforming" the country; progressives speak of
putting "the common good" before the individual, which "is exactly
the kind of talk that led to the death camps in Germany," as he said
on his show in May. Or, as he said in July of last year, "Everything
that is getting pushed through Congress, including this health care
bill," is "driven by President Obama's thinking on . . . reparations"
and his desire to "settle old racial scores." It sounds harsh, maybe,
but this is the rhetoric of crisis and desperation, and so much of
the population is too blind drunk to recognize the reality - which is
that the country is lying on an olive green shag carpet on the brink
of ending it all. "Some have to destroy their family and their job
and their house and their income," Beck told me. "Some don't get it,
and they die."

Some do get it, and they revere Glenn Beck.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/magazine/03beck-t.html