Like something on Facebook? Soon there’ll be ‘Reactions’
By Meg Graham Blue Sky Innovation

In the next few weeks, you’ll be able to respond to Donald Trump supporters or lost kitten posts on your Facebook News Feed with something other than a Like or a Block.

The company will roll out five "Reactions" — Angry, Sad, Wow, Haha and Love — in the U.S. in the next few weeks, according to Bloomberg Business.

In September, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced the company was working on alternatives to the Like button — and said Facebook users had long wanted “the ability to express empathy” more deeply.

Facebook began testing Reactions in October in Spain, Ireland, Chile, the Philippines, Portugal and Colombia, after which the company decided to drop “Yay” from the lineup because it wasn’t “universally understood.” The social network will tally the reactions — expressed as emojis — on each post.

The new feature will also give the company and advertisers more nuanced data about how people react to different posts.

“We see this as an opportunity for businesses and publishers to better understand how people are responding to their content on Facebook,” Facebook product manager Chris Tosswill wrote in a blog post.

“People have asked about the dislike button for many years,” Zuckerberg said in September. “We’ve finally heard you and we’re working on this and we will deliver something that meets the needs of the larger community.”

The company put the new options to the test during the Paris terrorist attacks in November — during which users employed the new variety of reactions rather than having to stick to Like.

“It just felt different to use Facebook that day,” Facebook chief product officer Chris Cox told Bloomberg.

But for all the Facebook purists, don’t fret: The Like button isn’t going anywhere. mgra...@tribpub.com   Twitter @megancgraham

--
*================================================ Duane Whittingham - N9SSN (ARES/RACES, EmComm, Skywarn & Red Cross) http://www.radiodude.info ================================================*