Déjà vu-lnerability

A Year in Review of 0-days Exploited In-The-Wild in 2020

Posted by Maddie Stone, Project Zero

2020 was a year full of 0-day exploits. Many of the Internet’s most popular
browsers had their moment in the spotlight. Memory corruption is still the name
of the game and how the vast majority of detected 0-days are getting in. While
we tried new methods of 0-day detection with modest success, 2020 showed us
that there is still a long way to go in detecting these 0-day exploits
in-the-wild. But what may be the most notable fact is that 25% of the 0-days
detected in 2020 are closely related to previously publicly disclosed
vulnerabilities. In other words, 1 out of every 4 detected 0-day exploits could
potentially have been avoided if a more thorough investigation and patching
effort were explored. Across the industry, incomplete patches — patches that
don’t correctly and comprehensively fix the root cause of a vulnerability —
allow attackers to use 0-days against users with less effort.

Since mid-2019, Project Zero has dedicated an effort specifically to track,
analyze, and learn from 0-days that are actively exploited in-the-wild. For the
last 6 years, Project Zero’s mission has been to “make 0-day hard”. From that
came the goal of our in-the-wild program: “Learn from 0-days exploited
in-the-wild in order to make 0-day hard.” In order to ensure our work is
actually making it harder to exploit 0-days, we need to understand how 0-days
are actually being used. Continuously pushing forward the public’s
understanding of 0-day exploitation is only helpful when it doesn’t diverge
from the “private state-of-the-art”, what attackers are doing and are capable
of.

Over the last 18 months, we’ve learned a lot about the active exploitation of
0-days and our work has matured and evolved with it. For the 2nd year in a row,
we’re publishing a “Year in Review” report of the previous year’s detected
0-day exploits. The goal of this report is not to detail each individual
exploit, but instead to analyze the exploits from the year as a group, looking
for trends, gaps, lessons learned, successes, etc. If you’re interested in each
individual exploit’s analysis, please check out our root cause analyses.

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2021/02/deja-vu-lnerability.html