Solar power satellite would pay future dividends for NASA

By BEN BOVA
Special to the Naples Daily News

May 22, 2005

http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/pe_columnists/article/0,2071,NPDN_14960_3796636,00.html

Where is NASA going?

More importantly, where should NASA be going? It's a big universe out there and the space agency has plenty of possible goals and missions.

As regular readers of this column know, I have been critical of NASA's refusal to refurbish the Hubble Space Telescope. It seems to me that to allow the HST to fall into disuse and ultimately flame back to Earth is a criminal waste of an unique astronomical facility on which we taxpayers have already spent more than $2 bil lion.

I'm happy to report that NASA's new director, Michael Griffin, has told Congress that he will consider sending a shuttle mission to refurbish Hubble and make it useful for years to come.

Consider, he said. No promises.

The previous chief administrator, Sean O'Keefe, had decided not to send a shuttle mission to the HST, citing safety reasons in the aftermath of the shuttle Columbia's tragic crash in February 2003.

Griffin, who is an engineer and scientist as well as an able manager, is apparently more flexible on the subject.

He has promised to keep an open mind, at least until the first shuttle mission since the Columbia accident, scheduled now for mid-summer. The tug-of-war over Hubble is symptomatic of the crossroads that NASA now finds itself facing.

President Bush has laid out an ambitious plan to set up permanent bases on the moon and ultimately send human explorers to Mars. NASA's budget and program planning are being pushed in that direction by the White House.

Many space scientists, though, are fearful that the exploration initiative will suck money away from their pro grams. They point out that NASA's greatest achievements have been the exploration of the planets of our solar system by robotic spacecraft such as Voyager and the various Mars probes, plus studies of the stars by unmanned astronomical instruments such as the Hubble telescope.

Why spend all that money and effort to put humans into space, the scientists argue, when robotic vehicles can do the job cheaper and more safely?

Already some science programs have been cut back or canceled altogether, a move that infuriates scientists who have spent their careers working on them.

Meanwhile there's the International Space Station, a multibillion-dollar program that NASA is committed to and our international partners expect us to help them finish.

What to do? Where to go?

NASA faced this kind of dilemma more than 40 years ago, when President Kennedy started the Apollo program. Distinguished space scientists howled bitterly at the billions being spent on sending a few test pilots to the moon. Their unspoken agenda, of course, was that they wanted that kind of funding lavished on their own programs.

What those scientists didn't understand — and many still don't — is that the success of Apollo allowed NASA to do the kinds of robotic missions that the scientists wanted. Without Apollo's enormous political clout, space science would have withered in the halls of Congress and in the White House. NASA needed a "headliner," a shining star, to convince the taxpaying public and their representatives in Washington to push ahead with space science.

Also, by going to the moon NASA developed the technology and the trained team to send spacecraft anywhere in the solar system that we chose to go. The only real restraints were politics — and money. Because of Apollo we got the Voyagers and Vikings and Galileo and Hubble and a host of other robotic explorers.

Likewise, I feel, President Bush's exploration initiative will produce new technology that will ultimate allow space scientists to do more than ever with their robotic spacecraft. And in the meantime, we'll have human scientists on the moon. And Mars. Some science program will suffer, true enough.

But in the long run, our exploration of the universe will benefit.

The taxpaying public wants to see people in space: scientists, builders and even tourists. Private entrepreneurs actually see space tourism as a major market.

To all this, I would like to add still another objective. NASA should spearhead a program to build a demonstration solar power satellite — perhaps an SPS capable of beaming a few hundred megawatts of electrical power to the ground.

I have two reasons for adding this goal to NASA's already-overloaded agenda.

One: An SPS program would show that NASA can make dramatic contributions to the problems that exist here on the ground. If NASA can help to develop the technology for bringing solar power to Earth, and thereby make a major contribution to ending our dependence on imported petroleum, the benefits to the space agency, the economy and the nation at large will be enormous.

Two: Constructing a miles-wide solar power satellite in orbit will require building a technological infra structure (and trained team of engineers and managers) that can be used for other space efforts. Like Apollo, an SPS program could give us the technology and the people to really develop the space frontier.

As I see it, by focusing on SPS (in partnership with private enterprise) NASA will produce the tools to allow us to send people to the moon, or Mars, or tourist hotels in space. And by proving that solar power satellites can make a major contribution to solving our energy problems, NASA will gain powerful political clout with America's taxpayers.

Much as I want to see humans return to the moon and walk on Mars, I believe that an SPS program is more important. It attacks a problem that affects every one of us. It will produce the tools and trained people to make space flight profitable. It will allow us to begin to tap the stupendous riches of energy and natural resources that exist in space.

Sure, I'd like to see humans on Mars in my lifetime. But bringing energy from space to ordinary people here on Earth is more important. Mars will still be there after we've succeeded with SPS.

Naples resident Ben Bova is the author of more than 100 books. His latest novel is "Mercury." Dr. Bova's Web site address is www.benbova.net.

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.