Little Viewers, Big Squabble
Policymakers' focus on children's TV leads to court battles

By Paige Albiniak
Broadcasting & Cable

11/14/2005

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6283290.html?verticalid=311&industry=Special+Report&industryid=1025

In this story:
“AN ARTIFICIAL SITUATION”
ONE POSSIBLE OUTCOME: THROWING OUT CHILDREN’S RULES

They don’t hold office, they can’t vote, and most of them don’t have much
money, but kids have become a key constituency in media policy in Washington.

Advertising to kids is trickier than ever. Most urgently, the FCC’s new
kids-TV rules are coming online Jan. 1. Media companies say the new
regulations threaten the fundamentals of an already challenging business.
If the courts don’t force the FCC to stay the rules, media companies will
have to drastically change the way they market, advertise and promote
during kids shows.

What’s more, the pressure is on to protect children from any messages
perceived as harmful. The Surgeon General warns that childhood obesity is
the nation’s top health problem, so now SpongeBob is pushing spinach,
Cookie Monster is gobbling fruits and veggies, Kraft is stepping away from
advertising in kids shows at all, and you can hardly blink without the
announcement of a new nutrition-related public-service campaign.

Washington’s involvement in all things kids is enough to make programmers
want to back off completely. Developing and producing educational shows is
expensive and time-consuming. Programmers have to keep ads during kids
shows to 10½ minutes on weekends and 12 minutes on weekdays, according to
the Children’s Television Act of 1990.

“AN ARTIFICIAL SITUATION”
That already limits programmers’ revenue, but the new rules would force
them to count network promotions toward those limits as well, giving them
even less time to sell. That will drive up the cost of each commercial,
while driving down total revenue, hurting both advertisers and producers,
they say.

“Some of these consumer groups don’t want any kids advertising at all, but
then how do they expect these networks to be funded?” asks Dan Jaffe,
executive VP, the Association of National Advertisers. “This is an
artificial situation that drives up these costs a great deal with no
benefit of further audience, so advertising in these shows becomes even
less attractive.”

Adds Marva Smalls, executive VP of public affairs for Nickelodeon,
“Minimally, we need clarity on these rules. We are moving forward in a
responsible business way as of Jan. 1, but we hope the FCC or the courts
will act before then. We are going to try to comply with the rules in the
meantime.”

Here are the major changes:

Any promotions for other network programs during kids shows now will be
counted toward advertising limits established by the Children’s TV Act.
Kids TV shows cannot direct viewers to related commercial Web sites,
particularly if on-air characters populate that site.
If a network preempts regularly scheduled kids programs in favor of sports
more than 10% of the time over six months, the kids programs will not be
counted toward the broadcast networks’ three-hour weekly kids TV requirement.
If broadcasters choose to use multiple digital channels, they will be
obligated to provide three hours of educational and informational (E/I)
kids programming per channel, although that programming can all be
consolidated on one channel.
Some of those rules really hurt children’s-TV providers in the pocketbook.
“We get our revenue from advertising. If we have limits on the amount of
commercials we can air, and we now have to count it against our commercial
time if we tell kids to tune into The Fairly OddParents or SpongeBob
SquarePants, that hurts us,” says Smalls. “An episode of Dora the Explorer
costs a half million dollars. We are spending a half million dollars per
episode to provide educational programming when we have no requirement to
do so, and now they are proposing limiting the amount of advertising we can
sell to support that programming.”

Others see tougher kids rules differently. Just last week, Sen. Tom Harkin
(D-Iowa), an outspoken critic of TV marketing to both kids and adults, was
celebrating the fact that he had secured passage of a bill directing the
Federal Trade Commission to report by midyear 2006 on the food industry’s
marketing practices to children. The report would include analyzing TV and
radio ad time and expenditures. Harkins calls industry efforts to
self-regulate “woefully inadequate.”

And both Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) have
introduced bills that would require the Centers for Disease Control to
issue a report on how TV, movies, DVDs, videogames, cellphones and the
Internet impact kids.

The Internet is a new arena for activists. According to such groups as the
Children’s Media Policy Coalition (CMPC), directing kids from TV shows to
branded Web sites is a version of “host-selling”: when a popular character
hawks certain products. For example, The Disney Channel would not be
allowed to mention or display disney.go.com during a show if there were
direct links anywhere on the site allowing kids to buy Disney-related
merchandise.

“We’re fighting here about the relationship between what’s on television
and what’s on the Internet,” says Andrew Jay Schwartzman, president/CEO of
public-interest law firm Media Access Project, “and that’s new and
important for everyone.”

ONE POSSIBLE OUTCOME: THROWING OUT CHILDREN’S RULES
NBC Universal is particularly concerned about another rule that would
forbid a network from counting kids programs towards its weekly three-hour
kids-TV requirement if a network preempts a show more than 10% of the time
over six months. That means that audiences in western markets (two and
three hours behind the East Coast) would miss the starts of many live
sporting events while kids shows played out. That would hurt media
companies’ investment in sports and certainly alienate sports fans.

Viacom and The Walt Disney Co. each have filed petitions at the U.S. Court
of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit that would force the FCC to stay the rules
and review them, but the court will have to act quickly for media companies
to get their way. One possible outcome would be for the court to throw out
the children’s rules altogether.

Kids groups not only want the future of kids’ TV to change but also aim to
remake what’s on the air right now. The United Church of Christ (UCC), a
particularly active member of the CMPC, is challenging TV-station licenses
over whether their kids shows are actually educational. Most recently, UCC
asked the FCC to examine Raycom Media-owned WUAB Cleveland’s license over
its animated kids show Sabrina, provided by DIC Entertainment.

UCC also has asked the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati to
force the FCC to reopen the kids-TV rules because it wants the commission
to include a ban on all interactive advertising, a subject that the new
rules don’t address. But it could go the other way.

“By the time we get to that point, the genie already will be out of the
bottle, and then it will take the FCC another five years to write rules,”
says Gloria Tristani, managing director of UCC’s Office of Communication
and a former FCC commissioner. “That’s why we want this in the rules now.”

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.