May 3, 2006
The Video Camera Revised
By WALTER S. MOSSBERG and KATHERINE BOEHRET

When someone whips out a video camera at a school play or family
reunion, two thoughts probably run through your head. One: I really
should get a video camera for moments just like this. Two: Who am I
kidding? I have no clue how to use a video camera or what to do with
the digital video files.

For all their popularity, video cameras are a pain to use, especially
on the spur of the moment. Most require a supply of tapes, and the
discipline to have expensive, charged batteries at the ready. For
casual users, video cameras are also intimidating, filled with
buttons and controls whose purpose isn't always obvious.

Not only that, but it's a challenge figuring out how to transfer your
videos to a computer, for editing and sharing with others. And the
price tags on most camcorders, ranging from hundreds to thousands of
dollars, don't help.

But what if somebody invented a dead-simple, point-and-shoot video
camera -- the video equivalent of a point-and-shoot digital still
camera? What if it had only a few simple buttons; didn't require
tapes; used standard AA batteries; and cost under $150? And what if
it had the built-in ability to easily transfer your videos to a
computer, and an easy way to convert them into a DVD?

Well, a small company has invented just such a video camera, and
we've been testing it. It's a radical new design, unlike any other
video camera we've tested, and has the potential to expand the
video-camera market to people who, until now, have been reluctant to
use one, or to use one very often. Not only that, but this simple,
low-priced new design is due to spread by the end of this year,
because it has been licensed to several big-name camera makers, who
plan their own versions.

Over the past few weeks, we've enjoyed trying out the new $130 Pure
Digital Point & Shoot Video Camcorder by Pure Digital Technologies
Inc. This device, which came out Monday and is being sold at Target
stores, aims to be stunningly simple to use and works with a built-in
software program that makes it easy for you to email condensed
footage or save videos to your computer.

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20060503.html

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.