Satellite-tracking road-use charging gets green light

Gov't to spend another £10m on piloting 'pay-as-you-drive' tech...

By Andy McCue
Silicon.com

Published: Thursday 11 May 2006

http://www.silicon.com/publicsector/0,3800010403,39158835,00.htm

The government is to set up a £10m fund to help IT suppliers develop the
technologies for a national road-use charging scheme that could lead to
some motorists paying almost £1.50 per mile they travel.

New Transport Secretary of State Douglas Alexander this week reaffirmed the
government's plan to introduce a road charging scheme that uses
technologies such as satellite tracking to enforce automatically a
pay-as-you-drive fee for every mile a motorist travels by 2010.

The government initially announced the national road pricing plans last
year as an attempt to tackle growing congestion problems.

Alexander said the Department for Transport will shortly be inviting
suppliers to take part in a series of demonstration projects over the next
three to four years that will tackle the "really difficult" design issues.

In a speech this week he said: "We need to examine the technologies and
services that are already being developed by the motor industry and others.
And we need to see how emerging technology could be used for road pricing."

Local authorities will also be encouraged to take advantage of a separate
£18m "pump fund" for road pricing pilot schemes. So far only £7m of the
money has been claimed by seven local authorities running test projects.

Alexander said piecemeal development of road charging schemes that could be
scaled up nationally is better than going for a big bang approach.

He said: "All the work that has been done over the last three years
confirms that what we should do is take a measured approach. Through pilots
and pathfinders, of varying scale, we will develop our understanding, apply
proven approaches where action is needed soon and, importantly, be able to
demonstrate what works."

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.