05/12/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT

Ergen values EchoStar's autonomy
CEO tells analysts partner not needed

By Kimberly S. Johnson
Denver Post Staff Writer

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_3812431

Douglas County - Charlie Ergen wants the satellite company he started in
1980 to remain independent.

The chairman and chief executive of EchoStar Communications Corp. told
analysts Thursday that EchoStar doesn't need a partner to ease the
competitive pressures presented by cable companies and telecommunications
companies entering the pay-TV market.

"From my personal perspective, I like us to be an independent company where
we can move quickly," Ergen said. "At the end of the day, we run the
company for shareholders."

Analysts asked whether EchoStar would consider partnering with DirecTV, a
one-time potential merger partner before regulators thwarted those plans.
El Segundo, Calif.-based DirecTV is the nation's largest satellite-TV
provider, with 15.4 million subscribers. EchoStar has 12.3 million.

"We don't feel like we need a partner, but I do think that it's prudent for
management to look at every situation that you can increase shareholder
value," Ergen said.

EchoStar also has come under fire for its aggressive litigation tactics,
prompting sanctions and admonishment from judges.

"I think we have room for improvement," Ergen said when asked whether the
company was earning a bad reputation in the courtroom.

"We certainly try to be ethical," he said after EchoStar's annual meeting
at its headquarters in Douglas County. "It's disappointing when judges
think we should be doing something better. There's always a fine line (in
terms of being too aggressive), and sometimes you don't know what that is."

EchoStar's meeting lasted 25 minutes. On the agenda: approving members of
the board of directors, ratification of KPMG LLP as the company's
independent public accounting firm, and amending and ratifying the employee
stock-purchase plan and nonemployee director stock-option plan.

Bert Hanou, 83, of Greenwood Village and his wife, N.J., have held stock in
EchoStar since the company went public in 1996. The retired United Airlines
employees said they attend the annual meeting every year because they like
to hear Ergen speak.

"It's one of our few security blankets," said N.J., 82, of their EchoStar
stock. "I'm very appreciative of how he's running the company."

Despite the company's first- quarter income decline over last year, the
Hanous said they would continue to hold on to their EchoStar stock and keep
attending the meetings.

"My wife gets a hug from Charlie at every meeting," Bert Hanou said.

Shares of EchoStar fell $1.30, 4 percent, on Thursday to close at $30.95.

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.