[Another news of the weird magic moment in broadcasting.]

"Cab driver" becomes Internet expert in BBC mix-up
Reuters

Mon May 15, 2006 1:34 PM ET

http://today.reuters.com/misc/PrinterFriendlyPopup.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-05-15T173351Z_01_L15667803_RTRUKOC_0_US-BRITAIN-EXPERT.xml

LONDON (Reuters) - The BBC has apologized after putting a mystery man,
possibly a taxi driver, on the air in a live interview, mistaking him for a
computer expert who was waiting at the reception desk.

The man's mouth opened in horror as the camera cut to him in the British
Broadcasting Corporation's News-24 television studio, where he had been
seated on a stool by a floor manager, a microphone clipped to his lapel.

A business presenter, sitting opposite, introduced the clearly startled man
as the editor of a technology Web site, and asked if he was surprised by
computer company Apple's victory in a trademark dispute over The Beatles'
Apple Corps.

"I'm very surprised to see this verdict to come on me because I was not
expecting that," he replied, with a strong French accent, in broken
English. "When I came they told me something else and I'm coming ... so a
big surprise anyway."

He gamely answered two more questions about music downloading, before the
presenter thanked him and moved on.

The BBC said it still did not know who he was but newspapers reported he
was thought to be a taxi driver who happened to be at reception when a
floor manager came to fetch the guest.

The real Web site editor, Guy Kewney, who watched with astonishment at
reception, said the mix-up was hard to explain because BBC staff had seen
his picture in advance. Kewney is white and the mystery guest was black.

"He seemed as baffled as I felt," Kewney wrote on his Web site
www.newswireless.net, which has a link to the interview, broadcast live on
Friday.

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.