No WGA Harm, No Foul
Larry Seltzer - eWEEK

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060705/tc_zd/182551

If you're going to run Windows on your computer, then at some level you
have to trust Microsoft.

This would seem to me to be a pretty basic and obvious point, but it's
lost on the folks who are suing Microsoft over the behavior of the
Windows Genuine Advantage program.

They're willing to run massive amounts of Microsoft-written software on
their computers and entrust it with their data. But given what to all
appearances is an innocuous file check on the Internet and they resort
to the courts for relief.

Relief from what? First, Microsoft has removed the daily check that
brought on this most immediate crisis. There's no evidence that anyone's
personal information was transmitted anywhere as a result of this program.

For advice on how to secure your network and applications, as well as
the latest security news, visit Ziff Davis Internet's Security IT Hub.

There's also no evidence to support the absurd claim made recently that
users without the current version of WGA would find their copies of
Windows disabled. Other confused observers assumed this meant that WGA
itself had a kill switch, but the plain text said otherwise. And the
claim was based on a posting by a longtime Microsoft competitor who
claimed to have heard it from a Microsoft support person.

Until I see some reasonable evidence I'm assuming that this is as bogus
as it seems to me, especially in as much as Microsoft has explicitly
denied it.

WGA has inspired a copycat worm. Click here to read more.

Others have claimed, more plausibly, that WGA isn't perfect at detecting
potentially pirated systems. This is a much more reasonable complaint,
although not one worth going to the courts over. If it made sense to sue
over every software bug, even just the annoying ones, the courts would
be jam-packed.

The point of WGA is to discourage piracy, and therefore the benefit of
it, at least the proximate benefit, is Microsoft's, not the user's. A
legitimate user gets only the vaguest of benefits from running WGA on
his or her computer, and that benefit pretty much goes away after it
runs successfully once.

Microsoft would have done much better, if you ask me, by being honest
and simple in its language about what WGA does. As my colleague Peter
Coffee points out, it has instead chosen Orwellian terms like
"consistent experience" and emphasized the benefit to ordinary users of
having WGA. I sympathize fully with the desire to combat piracy, so just
say that to me! Don't tell me this is all for my own good.

If Microsoft is motivated by fighting piracy, what motivates the people
filing these stupid lawsuits? I doubt it's the money, because even
people who show real harm in a class action usually end up getting
coupons from the company they sue.

I chalk it all up to a lack of any perspective on privacy and the urge
to slay dragons. We'd all be better off if they just went back to their
day jobs. And if they don't trust Microsoft they shouldn't be running
Windows.

Security Center Editor Larry Seltzer has worked in and written about the
computer industry since 1983. He can be reached at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Click here for an archive of Larry Seltzer's columns.

Check out eWEEK.com's Security Center for the latest security news,
reviews and analysis. And for insights on security coverage around the
Web, take a look at eWEEK.com Security Center Editor Larry Seltzer's
Weblog.

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.