"Free" internet calls as expensive as a satellite phone

From: Mathaba News Network

By Dr. Sahib Mustaqim Bleher

http://mathaba.net/0_index.shtml?x=539337

There is no doubt that internet telephony – or Voice-over-IP – has
revolutionised modern communications and forced fixed-line operators to
lower their hitherto exorbitant charges and make special all-inclusive
offers available. Since broadband has come of age and Skype perfected
peer-to-peer voice calling, individuals are increasingly abandoning fixed
line and mobile phones in favour of internet calls, especially when calling
abroad. In Taipei experiments with mobile phones which can switch to using
wireless networks are successfully being implemented and will pose a major
challenge to, also overpriced, mobile phone operators, although not likely
in the UK for some time, since the charges for logging into a WiFi
connection are also outrageously high.

Skype was successful because the software was simple and easy to use and
calls between Skype users were free. Then Skype-out, the option to call
ordinary landlines and mobiles from a computer, was added as well as
Skype-in, the option to have a "landline" number which would be diverted to
the computer or an answer machine when the computer was switched off. As
the VoIP technology developed, so did the competition, and proliferation of
technology and lack of compatibility between different communication
systems is as much a problem in this area as in any other computer application.

Amongst the Skype contenders were JahJah, which in the early stages was so
underdeveloped and user-unfriendly that I uninstalled it as soon as I tried
it. Besides, it's privacy policy, or lack of it, did not compete favourably
with Skype's encryption of communications. More successful was Voip-Buster
who offered free calls instead of low-cost calls like Skype. And this is
where unsuspecting customers would end up spending more money than they
might originally have done using their ancient fixed-line copper network:
To qualify for free calls you had to buy at least a minimum amount of
credit. A few months later the majority of calls became chargeable, even
from one European country to another. It was still a cheap deal, provided
you made lots of foreign calls. If you didn't, you would suddenly find out
that your credit expired after a few months and with ten Euros disappearing
all of a sudden during a time of little calling activity those few phone
calls made via the software would have cost more than if they had been made
by satellite phone.

This is what happened to me. Voip-Buster sent me a warning 6 days prior to
my credit expiring, but I was too busy to deal with it. Then my credit was
gone. At the time of buying the credit there was no warning that credit was
time-limited, so to make it expire after the purchase is strictly speaking
illegal in my opinion, but how do you pursue an internet company in another
country when the sums involved are trivial and the company does not reply
to messages. So they make their money. When enough people abandon them they
move on and launch a new software.

This is exactly what Voip-Buster did. After some half year in operation
they emailed their customers with a link to free internet calling software
called imaginatively "internetcalls" and which turned out to be a carbon
copy of the old software, down to the minutest detail, except that it
sported an appalling all orange user interface and, more importantly, calls
to some countries were still free. Having been bitten once, however, I
shall not rush and buy credit.

Advances in technology, in particular the internet, have revolutionised
communications. A lot of the potential benefits, however, are unfortunately
rolled back due to individual companies' profiteering protectionism. Using
a USB data stick, for example, you could carry your whole hard drive with
you on a trip, without having to shoulder a heavy laptop, if only you could
use it in any computer running the same operating system. Unfortunately,
Microsoft, which still has the edge over open-source software, would not
allow you to do so since they want to make money from licences and upgrades
to licences. They have now perfected their controls to a degree that you
cannot even change a major component on your own computer without the
software complaining and requiring re-registration. Many software
applications by other vendors also demand obtaining a new licence code
after major system changes, which makes expensive software useless unless
it continues to be supported by the manufacturer, and if they go out of
business the expensive goods you've bought from them might go down the
drain with them.

In order to benefit from progress in computing and communication
technology, rather than be hampered by restrictive practices, the whole
issue of licensing and charging would need to be looked at. There is no
longer a justification for high landline and mobile telephone charges, nor
for withholding ownership from software products once they have been
bought. Commercial greed, unfortunately, is once more standing in the way
of progress.

-----------------
-- Dr. Sahib Mustaqim Bleher is a German living in England. He is a Muslim
and a pilot. Read more of his writing at his FlyingImam web site which you
can visit at:
         http://flyingimam.blogspot.com

George Antunes, Political Science Dept
University of Houston; Houston, TX 77204
Voice: 713-743-3923  Fax: 713-743-3927
antunes at uh dot edu

Reply with a "Thank you" if you liked this post.