On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Gabriel Sandor <gabi.t.san...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, i soon found out that not all of the templates are actually
> expanded, the exception being those templates enclosed in wiki tags, which
> are left unexpanded (perhaps the most common example being {{cite ...}}
> templates inside <ref></ref> tags).

It appears to be that this happens indeed for <ref> tags. These tags
are part of extension Cite. Cite normally takes those tags, removes
them an relocates them to the location of the <references /> tag.

I'm guessing here, but what I think happens is that extension Cite
only does this in the parsing stage, so in the preprocessing stage
nothing is processed. Perhaps somebody with parser and Cite knowledge
can elaborate a bit more on this?

Bryan