On 30 April 2012 11:57, Łukasz Czyż <lukasz.cz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/4/29 Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com>:
>> As there's a page per word, you could list all pages:
>>  http://en.wiktionary.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=allpages
>>
>> They can however belong to different languages.
>
> That is why I do not find it as 100% good solution...
>

>> So if you want to filter
>> by language, you may want to retrieve instead pages in some
>> subcategories of eg.
>>  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_language
>
> I was aware about it, but it is still not very comfortable as it
> demands querying multiple categories, one by one.
>
> I was expecting single query which provides list of all words which
> belong to given language, but now I suspect there is no such. I will
> have to use one of those queries posted by You. Thanks.

Unfortunately Lukasz there are only the generic MediaWiki API and
dumps, they are completely ignorant of the content and format of the
various kinds of wikis. This means there are no Wiktionary-specific
API or dump files with dictionary-aware content.

This could be addressed if we could attract some developers with an
interest in machine readability and parsing of Wiktionary content but
even after quite a few years there is still no centralized effort in
that direction. Everybody who needs to do it invents their own wheel.
Of course everybody wants to do something somewhat different with the
data, or with a somewhat different subset of the data...

Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail)