Subject: Please notice and report big glitches - changes coming
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:14:05 -0400
From: Sumana Harihareswara <suma...@wikimedia.org>
To: Coordination of technology deployments across languages/projects
<wikitech-ambassad...@lists.wikimedia.org>

On Monday we start deploying a new version of MediaWiki, 1.21wmf2, to
the sites, starting with mediawiki.org and 2 test wikis
(https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21/Roadmap).  1.21wmf2 will
have 3 big new things in it and we need your help to test on the "beta"
test site http://deployment.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page
now to see if there are any really critical bugs.

1) The new ContentHandler (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ContentHandler ) might affect handing of
CSS and JavaScript pages, import/export (including PDF export), and API
stuff, especially when rendering and editing.  I'd suggest we also look
out for issues in template rendering, images and media handling,
localisation, and mobile device access.  (merged on Oct 9)

2) High-resolution image support.  This work-in-progress will try to
give higher-res images to high-density screens that can support it, like
new Retina displays.  More info at
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/24115/ .  One of the bigger risks of
the high res stuff is load-based, since we may see substantial new load
on our image scalers. So *all* image scaling might be impacted. (merged
on Oct 11)

3) "Sites" is a new backend to represent and store information about
sites and site-specific configuration.  This code is meant to replace
the current interwiki code, but does not do so just yet.  Still, keep an
eye out for site-specific configuration or interwiki issues.

Right now the version of MediaWiki on the beta cluster dates from 9 Oct
and thus has ContentHandler but not the high-res image support or Sites.
 So please test on the beta sites now and look out for these issues on
your sites in the weeks ahead.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:MediaWiki_test_plans has some
ideas on how to find errors.

Thanks!  With your help we can find bugs early and get them fixed before
they affect lots of readers and editors.
--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager