Bertel, another option is to use the REST API:

   - HTML for a specific revision:
   https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/#!/Page_content/getFormatRevision
   - Within this HTML, references are marked up like this:
   https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Specs/HTML/1.3.0/Extensions/Cite. Any
   HTML or XML DOM parser can be used to extract this information.

Hope this helps,

Gabriel

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:20 AM, Bertel Teilfeldt Hansen <
geilfe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Brad and Gergo,
>
> Thanks for your responses!
>
> @Brad: Yeah, that was also my impression, but I wasn't sure. Seemed
> strange that the example in the official docs would point to a place where
> the feature was disabled. Thank you for clearing that up!
>
> @Gergo: I've been looking at action=parse, but as far as I understand it,
> it is limited to one revision per API request, which makes it quite slow to
> get a bunch of older revisions from a large number of articles.
> action=query&prop=revisions&rvprop=content omits the references from the
> output (just gives the string "{{reflist}}" after "References"). "mvrefs"
> sounds very promising, though! I will definitely check that out - thank you!
>
> Best,
>
> Bertel

>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Bertel Teilfeldt Hansen <
>> geilfe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And is there no way of getting references through the API?
>>>

>> There is no nice way, but you can always get the HTML (or the parse tree,
>> depending on whether you want parsed or raw refs) and process it;
>> references are not hard to extract. For the wikitext version, there is a
>> python tool: https://github.com/mediawiki-utilities/python-mwrefs

Gabriel Wicke
Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation