Thanks Tim,

Your advice was exactly what I needed. I'm setting up my code like below.
ABC's are replaced
with real names and I've removed most of the code to just show the important
parts. I took out the
line: $wgExtensionFunctions[]        = 'wfSetupCSS' and instead create a new
class and then
call a function in the class to register the hooks.

File: ABC_setup.php

$oABC = new ABC();
$oABC->registerHooks();

File: ABC.php

class ABC {

    private $abcd;

    public function registerHooks() {
        global $wgHooks, $wgExtensionFunctions, $wgVersion;
        $wgHooks['SkinTemplateOutputPageBeforeExec'][] = array($this,
'onSkinTemplateOutputPageBeforeExec');
        $wgHooks['OutputPageBeforeHTML'][]             = array($this,
'onOutputPageBeforeHTML');
        $wgHooks['LanguageGetMagic'][]                 = array($this,
'onLanguageGetMagic');
        $wgHooks['ParserFirstCallInit'][]              = array($this,
'onParserFirstCallInit');
    }

function onParserFirstCallInit(  ) {

  global $wgParser;
  $wgParser->setFunctionHook etc ...

Can you let me know if this is what you are suggesting assuming the code
will run on say 1.14 MW
where the parserfirstcallinit is implemented.

Also any suggestions you might have? I'd like to be sure the framework meets
with the latest
standards.

One last question. Is this the best place for me to be posting this kind of
question?

Thanks,

Richard