We're trying to upgrade a French language wiki for educative purposes
from 1.13.0 to 1.15.1, and at the same time migrate it to from shared
hosting to a dedicated server running Debian.

Most things are working fine, except for a weird problem with images
with filenames with accented characters.   Characters in the texts are
working fine however.

When #$wgHashedUploadDirectory = false; is commented out images are showing.
With $wgHashedUploadDirectory = false; images aren't showing and upload.

When we upload a file called "a-é-çtest3.png" the following error shows up:
    Impossible de renommer le fichier «
temp/5/52/20091012063528!A-é-çtest3.png » en «
public/5/52/A-é-çtest3.png »

This is MediaWiki:Filerenameerror. But according to mediawiki.org this
message should no longer be required -
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Filerenameerror

At http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/mediawiki/180926 Tim wrote:
> Note that if you installed 1.10 with the "backwards compatible"
> schema, you will need to specify the --default-character-set=binary
> option to mysqldump in order to copy it correctly.

Now, we don't have SSH access at the current hosting solution and
cPanel/phpMyAdmin doesn't seem to have this option.  Or does it?  Now
we're trying to get a dump with this options through the simple
hosting support but we might not be able to acquire it.

It's a bit confusing at this point.  So all hints and comments are welcome.

thanks,
Kasper