On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Andrew Caul
<reachouttothetr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Daniel Barrett wrote:
>>
>> In 1.16, custom preferences added by third-party extensions aren't getting
>> displayed on our wiki. They all use the "UserToggles" hook and a function
>> like this:
>>
>> function wfToggle($extraToggles) {
>>   global $wgMessageCache;
>>   $extraToggles[] = 'foo';
>>   $wgMessageCache->addMessage('tog-foo', 'my checkbox text');
>>   return true;
>> }
>>
>> They used to show up under the Misc tab, but now they don't. Is this no
>> longer the way to add toggles?
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Hooks/UserToggles says nothing about it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> DanB
>
> The problem is $wgMessageCache->addMessage(). That method is deprecated, and
> although it still exists it no longer seems to work.

The problem has nothing to do with $wgMessageCache. The only error he'd get
there (presumably) is message keys showing up like <my-pref-toggle>.

The real failure is because preferences were rewritten entirely in 1.16.x and I
don't believe back-compat was maintained for the old hooks.

Take a look at the GetPreferences hook[0] for more info.

-Chad

[0] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Hooks/GetPreferences