Dont know if this helps, but I just wrote this up really quick.
This javascript function would close the TOC - but unlike calling
toggletoc(built-in function) , it won't open it if it was already closed.

If you could call this when a table expands, you would ge good to go. But sadly
I dont know where the collapsibleTable code is, so im not sure how to do it.

function closeTOC(){

        //if no TOC, stop
        if(!document.getElementById('toc')) return;

        var toc = document.getElementById('toc').getElementsByTagName('ul')[0];
        var toggleLink = document.getElementById('togglelink');

        changeText(toggleLink, tocShowText);
        toc.style.display = 'none';
        document.cookie = "hidetoc=1";
}