For my users, I just added another button on the edit toolbar, which adds a
skeleton of an article to the editbox, so they can then flesh it out.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:FAQ#How_do_I_add_more_buttons_on_the_edit_page.3F

On the MediaWiki:Common.js page, I added:

mwCustomEditButtons.push(
   {
      "imageFile": "/skeleton-22x22.png",
      "speedTip": "Insert article skeleton",
      "tagOpen": "'''KEYWORDS:''' \n\n'''APPS INVOLVED:''' \n\n'''MODULES:'''
\n\n'''CLIENT REFS:''' \n\n'''JOB# REFS:''' \n\n'''DESCRIPTION OF DOCUMENT:'''
\n\n----\n\n",
      "tagClose": "",
      "sampleText": ""
   }
);

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but they like it as a time-saver. :)

I have another button that inputs a pipe character "|" as part of its text,
which I had to replace with the character code "\u007c", so beware of that if
you need special characters.

Hope that helps,
James