On Wednesday 13 April 2011 18:01:30 Kilian wrote:
> On 04/13/2011 06:57 PM, Hiram Clawson wrote:
> > The spam is getting really tiresome.  I turned on ConfirmAccount and
> > the spammers continue to ask for accounts even through that mechanism.
> > It is a real pain...
>
> Read this: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit works well for me,
> with the QuestyCaptcha CAPTCHA type.

What I'd really like to see is the ability to say that you can't make any
edits until you have been registered for a period of time, unless you are a
member of a higher group.  I doubt if the spammers would bother creating an
account and coming back to post their spam three months later.  I haven't seen
anyone suggest that it actually is possible, though.

Anne