Like always, Im trying something Radical.
I want to test out using my current wiki as a behind the scenes engine for a
website.

Im trying to test making a more full blown social site that has a lot of wiki
portions, but something that mediawiki will not allow to happen simply through
skins/extensions.

I was thinking of using the API to get all the content I need from pages,
history etc, but... Since this is all local access, I think doing posts to the
API would be slower than just directly accessing it.

Is there php access to the API methods?

Is there a good way to get the content that the API provides without having to
POST ot GET to the API?

Thanks,
-Adam