In the past few months, I've seen more and more people
not wanting to have a "/wiki/" directory. Either because their
subdomain says so already, or because their domain name
says so already.

The most common fallback in such a case is letting the paths
be rewritten from the root of the domain, but I think most
developers will agree that this is not a good practice, which is
why that manual is not recommended.

A good alternative is using wgActionPaths instead.
See more here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgActionPaths#Clean_action_paths_from_root

The end result will be like:
* wiki.example.org/view/Article_name
* wiki.example.org/edit/Article_name
* wiki.example.org/history/Article_name

Sites that use this configuration are for example:
* http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Main_Page
* https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Main_Page

--
Krinkle