Hi,

On 10 November 2011 00:32, Brion Vibber <br...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a hook that is called when the text of an article is
>> parsed because of a cache miss.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish with a hook that's called during (before?
> after?) parsing that comes after a parser cache miss specifically?

S*mantic Forms form definition pages work to a degree similar to
templates, in that they have some explanatory text in <noinclude> tags
and the actual form definition in <includeonly> tags. Currently this
form definition is parsed every time a form is requested. I would like
to cache it. As I understood it, I can do that by setting a property
on the form definition page's ParserOutput object. So my idea was,
whenever there is a cache miss on the form definition page I parse the
part in <includeonly> tags and cache it along with the page. Then,
when a form is actually to be displayed I get the form definition text
from cache if available.

> Keep in mind that the same article may be parsed with different
> configurations (thus separate cache keys) or may not get cached at all. It
> also gets pre-rendered at default settings before we even check the cache
> during saving -- would this count as a cache miss?

I don't think so. All I wanted was an "Ok, this is outdated, we have
to reparse", but I guess it is not that easy. :)
Is there somewhere (apart from the code) were I can read up on how
exactly caching works in MW?

>> * There seems to be no elegant way to recognize if the text to parse is
>> the actual Article content.
>
> You generally should not make such assumptions as, indeed, many bajillions
> of things may get parsed, plenty of which are not standalone articles or
> pages.

I noticed. :)

Cheers,
Stephan