 From: Eric K <ek79...@yahoo.com>
To: "mediawiki-l@lists.wikimedia.org" <mediawiki-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:45 PM
Subject: [Mediawiki-l] Links with (, ), :, ' - break all the time

If anyone on an external site posts a link to our wiki, the link will often
break if it has spaces, brackets, apostrophes, colons, e.g.:
input, output rendered as:

input: www.mywiki.com/wiki/don't speakoutput: www.mywiki.com/wiki/don
   [breaks at the apostrophe]

Or:

input: www.mywiki.com/wiki/orange (fruit)
output: www.mywiki.com/wiki/orange (fruit                 [breaks at a bracket]

And so on.

The links break and I am not able to do anything. Sometimes I email webmasters
telling them to fix their rendering software but this doesn't achieve anything.
There are 100's if not 1000s of incorrect rendering software routines, which
are just not used to treating brackets, spaces, apostrophes and other
characters correctly. I no longer want to use these characters in the article
name anymore. For internal wiki links, I can do [[dontspeak|Don't Speak
(song)]] and deal with having the article URL different from the title for some
articles. That is perfectly fine because my higher priority is to prevent
broken
links and prevent losing site visitors who could not arrive at the correct link.

How this would work is, I would probably set the Title in a separate tag, e.g.
I would create:

- www.mywiki.com/wiki/dontspeak

And on that page, I would have something like:
<title>Don't Speak (song)</title>

This would be the H1 for that page where the title is usually found. This way
people get everything they need:- a working URL that wont break on other
websites and forums

- a title that can be any number of characters long.
Does anything exist that does this, and if not, any suggestions on how to get
this done would be appreciated.
Please note, I'm not talking about sorting categories. This is about the title
of the page and its URL and for some pages I want these to be different from
each other. I see the HTML code for that heading is:
- <h1 id="firstHeading"
So maybe I would overwrite that H1 tag with that ID with my own title, or
something like that. I don't know if its possible.

thanks
Erik